Twenty Seven

Derek's POV

It's the third day so after today's bag of fluid is finished Meredith can go home, I'm guessing it'll be late afternoon or early evening. I'm not entirely sure if Meredith will allow me to go home with her but at least she can go home, if I can move back in that will be a blissful bonus. 

I see Bailey and I bounce up to her.

"Good morning, it's a wonderful day isn't it?!"

She grunts.

Bailey isn't much of a morning person anyway so I can't take it personally. 

"You should come with us to round on Meredith today." She says suddenly. 

"I'd love to! She's due to come home today isn't she? Three days of fluids to make up for what she was low in. Today is day three."

"Think like a doctor Derek, it's embarrassing when you act like a clueless boyfriend.."

Ouch, she's really not a morning person.

I get paged so I ask Bailey not to start until I return which she agrees as Cristina and Richard isn't there yet. Thankfully, the page was only an intern only asking a question which they could of asked literally anyone. I normally love it when they ask questions but today is kind of a big deal. 

I return as quickly as I left and I was joined by the two missing surgeons and everyone had very serious faces and none of them matched my excited manner.

"Let's go. Meredith will be so happy to know she can go home today."

"Derek, you can't say anything until we're finished - got it?" Richard tells me. 

I nod, still smiling like the Cheshire cat. 

We all walk in.

Clearly Meredith thought the same as me as the first thing she asked was if she was going home today. We locked eyes and our smiles matched. 

"Meredith. We'd like to keep you one more night."

"What?!" Me and Meredith said in unison.

"We need to replace the fluid that has been missing. We're not sure where it's gone but you've been going through it too quickly. We monitor it so we know exactly what time it should finish and it's been routinely finishing a few hours sooner than it should."

"That's not my fault! Maybe you calculated it wrong." Meredith starts to sob.

"Mer.." Cristina goes to speak but stops herself.

My heart is breaking. 

"Mer, they think you've tampered with it. Purposely been emptying the bags a little bit somehow." Cristina finishes her thought.

I can't believe it. Would Meredith really do that?

Meredith jumps up out of her bed and runs to the bathroom and I see the stain and her gown.

No. I really can't believe it.

Richard's POV

We all saw it. 

The blood. 

It was on her gown and we see it on the sheets on her bed. 

How could she manage to hurt herself while in hospital, in my hospital? I could feel my heart drop. 

Derek's at the bathroom door trying to convince Meredith to come out and talk to us but she's refusing. 

I really don't want to admit her on a psychiatric hold against her will but, maybe I'll have too. After hearing about yesterday and her being weighed, she certainly needs helps - regardless of her weight. 

"Bailey. Prep another bag of fluids. When she comes out, we can hook her up but I want someone in here with her at all times, or we lock the bathroom. Yang. Get Dr Wyatt down here. I want to talk to her first before her appointment with Grey."

They both leave the room to go do the jobs I give them. I know how to bark orders like a good chief does but I do not know how to fix this problem.

"Grey. Come out of here. NOW."

Maybe sheer intimidation will work..

Meredith slowly unlocks the door and looks up at me, her eyes are red and puffy. This girl is breaking my heart.

"Right, we don't technically know where this fluid has gone but according to the charts some has routinely gone missing every day. So, it needs replenishing which is what is going to happen. Plus, after this mornings events it would do you good to speak to Dr Wyatt again before going home which is what we have set up. Do you understand this?" I ask her, in my most chiefly voice.

She nods. 

"Good. I'll see you later. You coming, Shep?"

Derek follows me out.

Dr Wyatt's POV

I'm in my office when I get a phone call from someone called Dr Yang. She's requesting, no demanding, that I go see Meredith Grey today but that I see Richard Webber first.

I'm not sure if I've met Dr Yang before but she doesn't waste time with small talk, I kind of like that. 

I inform her that I already had an appointment booked to see Meredith but I can make it sooner in the day if required, which apparently it is. So I make my way down to the floor that Meredith is currently on.

I'm stopped at the nurses desk by Richard Webber and I'm immediately greeted with hostility.

"What is the plan with Meredith?!" He demands.

"The plan?" I come back with.

"Are you admitting her?"

"She doesn't want that."

Another doctor snorts. Who is that?

"Nobody wants that Dr Wyatt, but this morning we found that she had injured herself on hospital grounds so she is clearly a danger to herself. There was blood on her gown and bed!" The chief explains.

"Self harm is a common coping mechanism in people who struggle with mood disorders."

Again, another snort.

"No disrespect to your profession, Dr Wyatt but are you actually helping Meredith?"

"It's not a case of clicking your fingers and everything's better. I'm sorry, can I help you?" I direct my question to the snorting doctor.

"I'm Dr Yang, we spoke on the phone. I'm Meredith's best friend. I think Meredith is playing everyone for a fool, just like she was for years before she ran away pretending to be okay when in reality she was falling apart and we didn't even realise. If you admit her, it's forcing her to get better and she doesn't want that."

"Admission is a very last resort. We have already agreed on that. Now, if you don't mind I'm going to go to the appointment made for Meredith."

I knock on the door and walk in..

I'm going to do the conversation as one chapter.. hope that's okay!