29. Staying In Control Part 1/2

November 2018

Demet

A second, a minute, an hour, a day, a week.

Time continues to slip through my fingers, autumn seems in a hurry to give way to winter these days and the days follow each other and look the same.

I live in a sort of semi-vegetative state. Not that I don't do anything, no, there's no question of that, but I live things as if in a mirror, I observe myself but it's not really me.

I try to persuade myself.

When you can't live your life the way you want to, you do what you can to keep going...

I'm spending my only day off comatose at the bottom of my bed, overwhelmed by spleen. I don't feel like getting up, taking a shower and even Civan tries to make me react by purring against my arm, he must be hungry.

My phone also starts to hum in my ear.

It's Beste.

"Hello Demo?"

I pull the receiver away from my ear with a grimace. I put the speakerphone on, I feel my head hurting...

"Oh Beste...you talk so loud!"

"I see you're in a good mood..."

"..."

"What do you say if we go to a palace and sip hot chocolate and pastries?"

"Oh Beste..."

I'm really not in the mood to go out, I just want to eat junk food under my blanket.

"You're really not funny, you're not going to brood for the rest of your life!"

"I'm soooooo pissed!!! What don't you understand? I work six days a week at a crazy pace..."

"Yeah. Don't give me that crap, not to me! Call me when you're done fighting your demons..."

I hear the beep of a dial tone that tells me she's hung up. My best friend has a temper!

I dive back under my duvet. It covers me just above my nose. I let out a deep sigh and close my eyes, thinking about how things have gone with Can over the past month since that big fight...

***

Several weeks ago...

After our lively exchange yesterday and Can's storming off and being angrier than ever I'm a bit anxious about the day ahead.

We have a few separate scenes this morning and Cagri has spoken to me at length. The last few days of shooting have not gone well, no doubt due to our personal problems.

We really need to get our act together if we don't want to ruin the chemistry between us.

On the agency's set, I'm enjoying the quiet of the cafeteria while everyone else is already busy outside. Lost in my thoughts through the social media screen, I barely hear the door open before his voice startles me. I jump up on the sofa and spill my coffee all around me.

Can.

I am speechless. He runs over and kneels down in front of me.

"I'm sorry, did you burn yourself?"

How can I resist that look of empathy? How can I push away a man like that? Those eyes that would melt the thickest of ice caps...

"No, don't worry, it had been waiting to be drunk for a while...it was barely warm..."