59

Aunt Mary just stands there stunned. I have to say, I am quite shocked myself at Lauren's outburst. Finally I gather my thoughts "okay let's all sit back down please. Look Aunt Mary, Lauren and I are both responsible for this relationship we have but I am the one at fault for pursuing her. Yes, maybe she should have turned me down and maybe we should have waited until I graduated. But as she said, here we are. I graduate in three days. We have been extremely careful and are nothing more than a student and principal to each other at school. We are both adults and by being adults we can do what we want. And no, I have never dated anyone. I have always been scared of getting hurt but the love that I have for Lauren, I'm willing to take that risk. She has my heart and I trust her not to break it."

I turn towards Lauren and tuck a loose strand of hair behind her ear. She glances up at me and I smile at her then lean in and kiss her perfectly soft lips. I caress her cheek and say "I love you" and she smiles. I look back at my aunt.

"I know it may be hard to understand. Hell it has been hard for Lauren to understand with the age difference, our school situation, me being her ex stepdaughter and because she has never been attracted to another female. But, you can't help who you fall in love with and I know for a fact mom would be proud of me and happy for me. Yes, she might be shocked but once she saw how much we love each other she would be happy for us. So I'm asking you to please do the same and don't do anything you might regret later on. Please! If you turn Lauren in, I don't know if I would ever forgive you. If you love me then don't do anything that will absolutely destroy me and make me hate you."

Aunt Mary sighs "Kyler, she is suppose to respect you as a student and not try and date you. I just don't understand this. This is very unprofessional of her." I take a deep breath, trying to keep my anger under control. Lauren sighs "I know it's unprofessional, trust me I do. But I love her, I love your niece and she makes me happy. I haven't been this happy and loved in a long time and it's all thanks to Kyler."

"Lauren, I don't give a damn if you're happy. You are an authority figure at the school and are suppose to take care of the kids there and have their best interest in mind not take advantage and prey upon one of them. My niece at that!" My aunt just shakes her head. "She didn't take advantage of me or prey on me!" I interrupted. "Did you hear me when I said I pursued her? Aunt Mary, you claim you want what's best for me and for me to be happy. Well Lauren is what's best for me and what makes me happy."

Aunt Mary looks at me for a few seconds and before she can say anything I keep talking. "Okay, this ends now because all we seem to be doing is going around in circles. This is Lauren's home and she will not be disrespected in it. I will not sit here and let you keep talking to her like you have or treat her like crap. I love you Aunt Mary but I think it's best for you to go.

Aunt Mary looks at me shocked but stands up. "I will give it a rest for now. I came for your graduation after all, which is a very important time for you. Honestly though, I'm disappointed in you Kyler. You could very well mess up your senior year because of this so-called relationship. And Lauren you are jeopardizing your career for this relationship. I don't know you enough to be disappointed in you but I am very upset with you for allowing this to happen. I need some time to think about this. I promise I will not contact the school board... yet. I just need some time... to clear my head and try to wrap my head around this then figure out the best thing to do. You two need to understand that this discussion is not over." I nod my head "thank you for not making a rash decision."

Lauren stands up and looks at my aunt. "Mary, I'm not a heartless bitch even after what you said to me and because I love Kyler and you're her family, you're welcome to stay here if you want to. The spare room is available and has fresh sheets. The decision is yours. Now if you will excuse me I need to go to the grocery store." I look at Lauren a little confused because we just bought groceries the other day.

Lauren starts to leave the living room but I grab her hand and stop her. "What's going on Lauren, why are you going to the grocery store again?" Lauren looks down then back up at me. "Kyler I just need some time alone. I will be back shortly okay." I lean in to kiss her but she turns her head and I kiss her cheek. "Okay" is all I can say then Lauren goes to the bedroom and grabs her purse and keys and leaves.

Aunt Mary sat in silence for a little bit and I couldn't help but think that Lauren left to be alone because she is over thinking our situation, again. I finally looked at my aunt "I hope you're happy Aunt Mary. Lauren is probably going to end our relationship now even though she loves me because you got in her head. I love her and I'm sorry you don't seem to understand that. She means the world to me and I can't lose her."

Just talking about possibly loosing her makes my eyes tear up. Aunt Mary stands and walks towards the door. "I'm going to go to my hotel. I'm staying at the Holiday Inn on Riverwalk. I will see you later, hopefully before graduation. I love you and I'm sorry but I just want what's best for you." She leaves and I am left here in the apartment surrounded by silence. About an hour after Aunt Mary left Lauren finally comes back home. She is quiet and seems distant as she comes through the door. She doesn't even look at me when she passes by the couch. She had said she was going to the grocery store but she came back with nothing. I knew something was wrong.