Chapter - 40

Third person
........................

"How is it?" The man who rarely get nervous is bundle of nerves currently, trying to look adequately presentable.

A woman standing just few feet away smiles in amusement at her husband's actions, "You look fine, Dean."

"Really? Are you sure she won't be able to recognize me?" Dean Ross, the unrelenting business man that many associates fear, actually fumbles.

Lisa Ross has to bit her lip to keep from smiling.

"Oh so you don't want her to identify you as the man who she had met a few times before. The same person who had to change his looks, put on lenses and even shave his head at one time. Was it her graduation when you did that?" Lisa couldn't control the laughter noticing Dean's expression.

The man looks comical at the very least.

"It's not funny." He snaps.

It is not.

True.

But he is making it funny.

Stifling her smile, Lisa moves to him, positioning his tie, "Relax. She won't recognize you. Remember, even Damon wouldn't accept it was you until he saw your birthmark. I'm quite certain Akira won't figure it out."

"You never know with her. She is pretty smart and far more mature than girls of her age. It makes me feel proud and anxious at the same time." There is a bittersweet smile on his face.

He thinks about the time when other girls wanted to party and have fun, his daughter worked two jobs so she could save up.

It made Dean proud but helpless too.

"She has your blood, of course she would be smart." Lisa comments.

"Is my wife complementing me?" Dean smirks, leaning forward.

"She sure is, dear husband."

He sighs and closes his eyes as he confesses, "I'm nervous about this meeting. I feel like I should cancel the meeting and tell her to come later, probably when I am ready."

"You would never be ready enough to face this, Dean. Just remember to not become over persuasive or too forceful. Dean, you will have to remember to not push her too hard, okay? "

Dean actually smiles, "If she is anything like her father, one thing I can be sure about is that she is not someone people can push around. She has more backbone than many men I know." Pausing for a bit he grimaces, "Though I worry about her relationship with that boyfriend of her's. "

"King? Why? What's wrong with him? "

"He has too much power over my little girl, he can hurt her with just one wrong move. I have seen the way my daughter was crying over that guy, fucking gutted me. "

Lisa frowns at that, "Dean, every relationship has up and down. It is not easy to love someone the way they do. You of all people should know that." She is referring to her own relationship with Dean and how they have hurt each other in past, without actually meaning to.

Dean let's out a sigh, "I know that, babe. It's just she is my little girl, you know? Even if she doesn't want to accept me, she has been a part of my life ever since I found about her. All my life I have have wanted to protect her and now that I think I might get this chance, I don't want someone else to stand in the way. That guy has an empire of his own, he wields more power than any other person of his age does. I don't want him to have any kind of control over her."

"From what I know of her boyfriend, he sounds like a guy who will stand by her and support her as long as he doesn't have to stand by and watch her getting hurt."