Chapter - 49

Akira
---------

Looking outside the floor to ceiling glass window has me wondering about our priorities. No matter whichever direction I see, there is people rushing, pushing past each other to reach wherever they are supposed to be.

What is it that everyone seeks?

Money?

Peace?

Happiness?

Even if they successfully achieve it, when do they even get time to enjoy it?

Still I hope they make it though.

Life seems too short but turns too long real quick if one has to live with regret.

Regret.

I too need to do something that I hope I won't regret later. My nerves are deserting me, I'm probably hanging on the last ones.

"Solved the world problems yet?"

I ignore him.

I'm still angry at him but being near him is also kind of like having a living reminder of what I have decided to do and how I'm stalling.

"Really Ray? How long are going to ignore me?"

I keep quiet.

Romero sighs, and even with my back turned I feel like I can see him raking his hands through his hair, ruffling them.

Then I hear him move behind me, "I'm sorry."

His remorse is evident and he says it so softly that I almost turn around but catching the hold at the last moment, I harden myself.

I don't care if he is sorry, he can't just treat me like I'm some kind of idiot with no sense of self preservation. He doesn't get to do that and then act like I'm the one wrong here.

"Ray, I said I'm sorry."

Silence.

He groans, "Alright I agree that I probably overreacted but can you at least try to imagine being at my place? I hate it when I'm away from you and the fact that I have to trust others for your security is fucking with my head, especially after detective Matthew call's. Even Victor's men haven't been able to find much about this psychopath. I am trying so hard to keep myself under control but then I heard you were down there without Paul. Fucking Paul, he didn't inform me of your visit either. I'm going to have his-"

As his words penetrate the haze of temper, I turn around abruptly, and frown, "Wait, what are you talking about? When did the detective call? How come you didn't tell me? And who the hell is this Victor guy?

Romero clears his throat, "Detective Matthew called last night when we were driving back. I didn't tell you because you had already fallen asleep."

I roll my eyes, "And what about this morning? What did he say anyway?"

"I didn't want to worry you besides he didn't say anything that I didn't know already. He just confirmed that the man they have is not the main culprit. The mastermind is someone else. The bastard was paid to do it. He doesn't know his name or what he looks like. Whoever that fucker is, he knew him, knew his addiction to booze and knew he didn't have money for it. He called him and offered him the money he needed in return of doing what was asked. The bastard was all too happy to oblige until Victor's man got to him. Now the son of bitch is scared to his bones, doesn't even want to get out of the cell. As much satisfaction it gives me, it doesn't solve my problem though, that psychopath is still on loose and nobody is even close to catching him. Fuck, nobody knows what he looks like or why the fuck he is after you. He could be near us and we wouldn't even know." He exhales roughly, gritting his teeth, a nerve visible near his temple.