Chapter - 53

Akira

Reaching our building I press the password and step into the private elevator that goes straight up to the penthouse. Paul slides in behind me and I look up to him in confusion.

Huh?

Why is he coming with me?

I have things to do and some plans to put into action. I don't want anyone to mess things up before I even started it.

It's not that he can't but he doesn't usually visit Romero's home unless it's something important or I invited him to taste whatever recipe I was working on. He is actually pretty decent with comments unlike Mark, another guard, who probably doesn't have a single diplomatic bone in his body. The guy is too blunt. Most of the time that is appreciated until it's not.

"Have you talked to Romero yet?" I ask him even though I know for sure he already did.

There is even a possibility that he was on call with Romero the whole time I was with his mother. He is rigid like that.

I'm glad he always has Rom's back, always following orders exactly as instructed but it wouldn't hurt to bend the rules a little sideways once a while to make people happy.

"Yes." His stiff reply makes me direct another glance to him. His face looks grim and his jaws tight.

"Why are you coming up with me?"

He doesn't answer for a few moments, "I need to check something."

The way he says it hits something in my brain, setting it off.

A foreign feeling of uneasiness starts to form in the pit of my stomach, I try to ignore it but it persists.

"Why? Is there something wrong?"

He shakes his head, "No but-"

The elevator dings cutting him off and its door parts open revealing the living room.

I blink a couple of times, not believing my eyes as I take the state of the room.

Romero is home.

If the condition of the living room wasn't any indication, the eerie silence would be a dead give away.

And he is angry.

Angry enough to destroy the room.

Paul seems to come to same realisation as he puts a hand on my arm, stopping me from making any movement.

"Stay here." With that order, he starts to step out of the lift.

"No." The word is out before I could reconsider it.

He halts, "What?"

"I will check up on him and make sure he is alright."

I am not a coward.

Romero is angry at me so I'm not going to send someone else to fight my battles.

I knew what I was getting into when I made the decision to meet his mother.

In all the scenario I came up with, he was never going to take it well.

Well not at first anyway.

I love that man and I know I can take everything he could throw at me and still be able to move forward.

I'm not going hide in corner and wait until tides settle down. I am going to face it head on.

If one has courage to do something, they should be brave enough to own it as well.