Chapter - 31

"To all the people who try to find logic behind love, I am afraid you won't find it for love does not have logic but magic."
~ Akanksha
•••

Akira
.........

"You think this all might be related to my accident as well?" He whispers, there is an edge in his voice.

I nod in his chest, feeling his steady and strong heartbeat working like balm on my unsteady one.

"Son of a bitch!" Romero grits his teeth so tightly that I can almost hear it.

"Is everything alright, Miss Ray?"

No it's not.

But the question sure pulls me to reality.

Coming back to my sense that we are in presence of cops, I force myself away from Romero's hold and move back to face them again with Rom keeping a firm grasp on me this time.

I also notice how detective Cornell's eye dances back and forth to us.

I like the fact that Romero doesn't try to take the lead instead he let me decide this time. I know it must be hard for him to not do so, he is a control freak even more so when it comes to me but I guess he understands it now that I'd not always find it helpful and is trying to compromise.

I can deal with compromise as long we keep moving forward while understanding each other's need better without forcing our will on other.

But still protecting one another just as fiercely.

"If you'd like we can come back later." Detective Matthew offers.

I shake my head.

I need to do it.

And I need to know what the hell is going on with everyone around me.

"Okay. So you were saying?"

Taking a deep breath, I let it out, "Few months back Romero got hit with some car."

There is a painful lump in my throat that I find hard to swallow. I remember that night of my birthday, it has scarred me for life. Its unlikely I'd ever forget that feeling of helplessness.

"And you believe it's interconnected?"

"I don't know what to believe anymore detective but if this person is out there targeting everyone I love then it might be possible that that accident wasn't actually one."

And I dread that possibility.

Detective Cornell shares a look with his partner before turning to me, "It's just a theory, Miss. Ray, there is no base to it but we will take everything into account. As of now-"

His phone ring cuts him off.

"Excuse me." He takes it out, sees the number before answering it, and not making any move to actually excuse himself.

I feel as if detective Cornell is the type who constantly walks on the brink of the line that divides good from bad, tiptoeing both side of waters while detective Matthew seems like the one who prefer to play by safe.

"What?"

"Are you sure it's that truck?"

"Okay, yeah... no, stay."

"We'll be right there."

Matthew is on him as soon he hangs up, "Who was that?"

"That was Jo. She located the truck that hit Elizabeth."