The Proposal

Akira
---------

"Congratulations sweetheart. I'm so proud of you. Just like your parents would be." My grandmother hugs me fiercely.

"Thank you, grandma. I'm so glad you were to able to come."

She pulls away to give me a affectionate kiss on my cheek, "I wouldn't miss this for the world."

"Hey, pretty ladies, smile!"

We turn toward the shout just as the flash goes off. Logan grins from behind the camera as he takes few more pictures.

"Me too!" Bella joins me from the other side.

After taking a few more Logan walks up to us, "Congratulations baby girl! Big brother is so fucking proud of you."

"Language!" Grandma scowls.

He winces, Bella and I exchange a snickering glance.

"Thanks Logan, I'm so happy you both are here."

"Of course we are here, it's not everyday you get to graduate from your dream college. It's gonna be more special when-"

Bella nudges him rib, "He means it will become more special when we all will have dinner together after so long."

I look around, "Yeah, can't wait. Have you seen Romero?"

I remember seeing him with them a few minutes ago while I was receiving the degree.

Where did he go?

They shift on their feets.

Huh?

What's that about?

"Uh..I think he got some important call and had to return. He..er..asked us to tell you that he will see you there."

What?

"He just left?"

I don't believe that.

It doesn't sound like my Romero at all. He wouldn't do something like that, not today of all days. Something must be bothering him.

Something big for him to leave without even telling me.

I should have known something was up from the way he has been acting since he arrived last night.

Earlier we couldn't wait to get our hands on each other by yesterday he left a few minutes after he came and he didn't return until very late. When I questioned him, he became evasive. I ignored it thinking it must be work but now this?

What's going on with him?

"Ira?"

"Huh?"

"Want to grab a drink with us? There is a nice little cafe by the hotel."

I think it over, "Actually I want to head home first."

I need to check up on Rom.

Grandma pats my arms, "Yes, you should go and have some rest."

I face my best friends, "I will see you guys in a few hours."

They share a glance with some weird inside message that they do and Bella smirks, "You bet you will."

"What?"

She shrugs, "Nothing, just exited to see you tonight."

"You are seeing me now." I deadpan. I notice grandma shaking her head looking above as if praying.

Logan interrupts as she opens her mouth, "She means that we are just really excited to have this dinner."

Weirdos.