eight

it was 11:45. louis and i had to get ready to go, and i wasn't quite sure what to bring. typically i brought the drinks, but i had a feeling this wouldn't be our normal hang out and get high session.

it's not like we got high every single time. it was about every three times. we only smoked weed, it wasn't anything too severe. sure, it wasn't really legal, especially for a minor like me, but nobody ever found out.

we were in my dark kitchen, the only light illuminating my face from inside the fridge. louis was on a barstool, his back hunched while his elbows rested on the counter, one hand forming a fist with his chin resting on top.

i decided on packing my black backpack with water bottles. i packed eight, the plastic bottles squeaking against each other. i replaced the taken water bottles with ones that weren't in the fridge, letting them get cold.

i shut the fridge, leaving louis and i in darkness. after fishing my phone out of my jean pocket, i turned on the flashlight, gesturing for louis to follow me back to my room.

we crept almost silently up the stairs and down the hall, our footsteps barely audible. my mother's light was off, her door tightly shut.

hopefully, she was asleep. that would make sneaking out so much easier. thankfully, she wasn't a light sleeper, so my occasionally squeaky window wouldn't wake her up.

the front door had a camera and alarm on it, so that was a no go. the back door was the same, unfortunately. so we were left with climbing down from the second floor.

just in case, i always kept a sturdy rope in my room, and we would use that. i had a desk leg i could tie the rope around, and it was long enough to reach the ground. all we had to do was scale down it. easy peasy.

we made it back to my room, i stood by the door while louis hurried past me. i shut the door quickly, hearing the satisfying click of it snap into place. i rushed over to the window, knowing we were cutting it close.

i hastily pulled the rope out of my dresser drawer and bent down, tying it on the desk leg, pulling it to make sure it's secure enough.

once the curtains were pushed away and the window was unlatched, i threaded the rope out the window, letting it fall on the roof. i climbed out onto the slanted roof, ushering louis out. "come on! don't be afraid!" i whispered.

he had this terrified look on his face. louis partridge was afraid to climb out of my bedroom window. "i don't know..."

"oh, come on! give me your hand!" i grabbed his hand, letting him use the other one to steady himself on the frame of my window.

he took in a big gulp, his adam's apple bobbing. "okay..." he whispering, i could barely hear him.

damn, he really was afraid.

i slowly pulled him out, his feet planted on the roof as his upper body slowly slid out of the window. eventually, he was all the way out.

i knew what my next move would be, but i wasn't sure if i should've done it. i would grab his waist with one arm to steady him, and with the other i would have to shut the window most of the way.

whatever. it wasn't some weird move. he was my friend, i could touch his waist without it getting weird.

so i did it. i wrapped my left arm around his waist, guiding him away from the window as my fingers pulled down the window from the inside. they grabbed the ledge of the window as i pulled it down, leaving about two inches of space. after i did that, i moved the hand to louis waist, gripping it.

my other hand slid to the other side of his waist, holding him tightly. "are you good?" i asked, wanting to get on the ground.

he looked down at my hands, nodding. "yeah... yeah. let's go."

i slowly took my hands off his waist, making sure he was steady. i grabbed the textured rope, throwing it to the ground so we could finally go. i knew by the time we both hit the ground we would only have ten minutes to bolt to the playground.

"i'll go down first." i said, inching towards the edge of the roof with my hold on the rope. "just watch me, lou." i instructed.

louis looked at me in surprise, and then i realized that was the first time i've called him that. lou.

it wasn't the time to think about that. we had to hurry. once i reached the edge of the roof, i lowered a foot down. the roof extended further than the wall, so i had to stretch my leg to reach the wall.

it was just straight brick underneath me. no windows, which was a good thing. there was no way i was going to put my shoe prints all over some glass.

i had both feet firmly planted on the wall, my hands gripping the rope tightly. slowly i lowered myself down, moving my hands down inch by inch quickly, and before i knew it i was a foot away from the ground.

i let my feet leave the wall and i plopped to the ground gently, my knees bending slightly. my gaze directed itself back up to louis, who was peering over the edge of the roof. "your turn!" i quietly shouted up  at him.

he nodded slowly, turning around and grabbing the rope. he moved his foot down to the wall, hesitantly letting the other foot join. he started to slowly go down the wall, finding a pace.

he was next to me in no time. i hugged him quickly, he didn't even have a chance to react before i whirled to go behind my house. we walked in between our houses in silence.

we journeyed behind my house, heading to the school that was through the neighborhood. all my friends lived in this huge neighborhood, and so did a lot of kids, apparently.

we made our way between two other houses before emerging out onto a sidewalk, then we walked and walked in sync until we made it to the school.

there was a chain link fence surrounding the school, but it was one that was easy to climb. i hooked my feet into it, jumping down to the other side quickly.

louis joined me, the fence rattling wildly. i looked at him, his chest was rising and falling a little quickly. "race you." i said anyways, darting off.

"hey!" he yelled, running after me. i heard his footsteps get closer to me, and i pushed myself to run faster, my legs burning.

i could see the playground in front of me, six people sitting all over it. i felt eyes on me as i ran, my backpack slapping my back.

suddenly, i was lifted off the ground, arms around my waist. all the way around, even. i squealed as my feet were kicking, and i was placed down again before louis took off again, winning the race as soon as he hit the wood chips.

i walked up to him, an annoyed look on my face. while my face didn't show it, inside i was a mess, though i had no idea why. i touched his waist and he didn't have a problem, so why should i?

"no fair!" i complained, punching louis lightly on the shoulder before looking up at the people on the play set.

i led louis up to them, stepping onto the first stair. my friends stared at us expectantly, waiting for someone to say something.

"well, guys." i started, taking in a deep breath. "meet louis."

SORRY SORRY SORRY FOR THIS TERRIBLE CHAPTER I HATE IT SM
also i changed the name and cover but it's still the same story <3