twenty four

after louis and i made our way into our houses to change, both in just a hoodie and sweatpants. we got back out, our mothers telling us to not stay out too late.

i stood waiting by louis' car for a moment before he came out of his house, fixing his ruffled hair. i noticed something moving in one of his downstairs windows, it was a curtain that his mother was peeking out of.

i was illuminated by the streetlight, and i knew she saw me, so i smiled and waved at her. she smiled warmly and waved for me to go on with louis.

i sat in the car, louis getting in soon after me. "did your mom do that to you?" i asked, pointing at his still slightly ruffled hair.

he nodded, starting the car. "yeah, she did. i went back into the house and ran up into my room to change and she was like 'leaving already?'. i think she suspects something is going on between us."

i laughed, shrugging. "she's not wrong."

i loved louis' mother. she was always so sweet and kind to me, she treated me like a third daughter. i mean, yeah, she scolded me when i got into trouble, but she loved me with all of her heart.

my mom loved louis and his sisters, too. our families basically molded into one big happy family until the partridges moved away.

louis told me his dad had business to finish up in italy, but he'd soon be coming back to them. i knew louis was fond of his father, but when we were little, he had an affair with a woman from work.

i remember how devastated everyone was, we barely understood what was going on.

-

i sat next to louis, confused, our seven year old selves just sitting at the dinner table with millie and issie and our mothers.

louis' father was working late at the office, at least that's what he told his wife. she had called the office, suspecting her husband was a liar. confirming her suspicions, the secretary said he had left around five pm.

she then rang up her husband, confronting him. then the truth came out, apologies between each and every sentence. louis' mother was breaking down crying, and when she couldn't form any sentences anymore my mother took the phone and started to chew the man out. she walked out of the room with the phone, her voice still as loud as ever.

millie got up and climbed into her mother's lap, the poor four year old had no idea what was going on, she was the most confused out of all of us. her mother wrapped her arms around her, her cheek on top of her head.

nine year old issie knew what was up for the most part, and she looked nearly as heartbroken as her mother. she got up from the table, abandoning her roast, running up the stairs to her room.

i looked over at louis, who seemed to be sort of grasping the situation. his eyes were filled with hurt, and i just wanted to hug him.

so i did.

i wrapped my arms around the boy who was roughly the same size as me, just a tiny bit taller. he turned into me as best he could, his arms engulfing me in a melancholy embrace. he put his forehead on my shoulder, unwilling to hold it up.

i let him. i let him squeeze me as tightly as he wanted, because he was my best friend and he was hurting so bad. even though he didn't understand the whole situation then, he knew his dad did something bad.

my mom came back into the room, setting the phone on the table before bending down and hugging the betrayed woman.

everyone was hugging someone, all except for issie. louis took notice and shot up, untangling himself from my arms and pushing his chair back. he ran out of the room and up the stairs, going to console his older sister and make sure she was okay.

-

i remembered that while driving with louis, remembering how at seven years old louis put others before himself. he was so selfless.

just another thing to love about the boy.

"is this the right place?" louis asked, pulled up on the side of a street. i nodded, unbuckling as he turned off the car.

we got out, i looked at the sidewalk to the park that was winding to the side of my door. i beckoned him over, grabbing his hand.

i led him down the sidewalk in silence, reaching the playground. it was a really cool one, there was a huge wooden castle as the play set, and swings and a slide off to the side.

i let go of his hand once we stepped foot on the wood chips, looking over at him and smirking. "race you to the top." i said before running away, nearly slipping on the wood chips.

"you got a head start!" he yelled at me, running after me.

i heard his footsteps getting closer as i reached the stairs of the castle, hurrying up them. i crossed a walk way, turned a corner, and climbed up more stairs. finally, i was on the square platform with a triangular roof over it.

louis came up behind me, wrapping his hands around my waist from the back and picking me up off of the ground. i yelled out in surprise, my legs kicking out.

he laughed in my ear, setting me back down on the ground. i turned around and punched him lightly in the arm, but a smile was still on my face. "don't scare me like that!"

he laughed and shook his head, putting his hands on my shoulders. he bent down and kissed my forehead, making me melt inside. there was something about forehead kissed that just made me all gooey inside. they were just so sweet.

i looked up at him, staring into his eyes. god, he was so pretty. and perfect. i was so lucky to have him.

i gave him a peck on his nose, wrapping my arms around him in a hug. his arms found their way around me, too. i leaned my cheek against him, looking out over the playground.

the stars were shining in the sky, but they barely illuminated the playground. the lampposts by the front corners of the playgrounds did that, casting a yellow glow on everything.

it felt so calming to be here, on the top of some rickety old playground castle, in louis' arms. it was a moment that really could've been captured in a photo and framed. it was a moment i would love to hang on my wall and remember forever.

SORRY SORRY SORRY FOR TAKING SOOOOO LONG AND THE CHAPTER BEING SOOOO SHORT

ALSO- i'm gonna try to make the chapters longer.

i plan for this book to have 30-50 chapters, but if i'm able to fit two chapters into one then it would probably be shortened. who knows, i'm working on laying out how i want this to go.