twelve

september 14, 2020
ten days to the enola holmes release

Y/N'S POV

every single day i went to school after louis came back all i was ever talked to about was him. nobody cared about me anymore after that. they just wanted to know about louis partridge.

"hey y/n, what's louis like?"

"he's like louis."

"y/n, how tall is louis?"

"taller than me."

"do you think you could give louis my number?"

"shove it up your ass."

"what does louis smell like, y/n?"

"i don't sniff him, that's fucking weird."

it had gotten really old really quick. i'm not just some girl you could use to get closer to louis.

it was finally time for louis' first day of school. i was a nervous wreck. i knew people would be all over him the second he stepped off the bus with me.

i felt like i had to protect him. they would swarm him like wasps, stinging him with constant questions. i felt bad, they only wanted to talk to him for fame.

i got ready for school, putting on some grey plaid pants with a plain white shirt and a green cardigan. the shirt hugged me a little bit, and it looked great tucked into the pants.

i didn't really know what shoes to wear, so i just put on my pair of black converse and rolled with it. it doesn't really matter.

after i was all ready, i slung my bag over my shoulder, and it was about ten minutes till the bus. once i made it downstairs, i yelled goodbye to my mom as i shut the front door.

i walked across my lawn to louis' house, knocking on his front door. it took a moment before he answered, wearing a black hoodie and some jeans. "hey." he said, clearly nervous for school.

i was just nervous to see him. it was the first time we talked since the night we snuck out. my mom kept me cooped up in the house doing chores when i didn't have homework to do. it was boring.

"hi." i said, pulling my other arm through the strap of my backpack. "bus is here in ten minutes."

"yeah.. um, i need to get my shoes on. come inside." he stepped aside so i could walk in, his hand on the side of the door.

he shut it behind me before hurrying upstairs, leaving me alone in the entryway. i stood there awkwardly, wishing for him to hurry up. i didn't want to talk to his mom, i thought she would be mad at me.

thankfully, the boy hurried back downstairs with his shoes on and his backpack over his shoulders. "let's go." he said, opening the door and ushering me out.

i rushed out, he clearly was ready to go. we made our way in front of our houses, watching the road for the bus.

i glanced over at him repeatedly, questioning if i should make conversation. "so, did your mom get mad at you for sneaking out?"

he looked over at me, making immediate eye contact. "not really, did your mom?"

i nodded, looking at the ground. "yeah, i'm grounded until the day after your movie release. i can't watch it until a day later." i said quietly, feeling somewhat ashamed.

"oh." he let out, and when my eyes found their way back to him he had a disappointed look on his face. "i'll wait to watch it then. we can watch it together."

had louis not seen it yet? "you haven't seen it yet?" i asked, surprised. i would have thought he had.

he shook his head. "no, they had to edit the whole movie. so when it's released it'll be the first time i've seen the finished version. i've seen some clips, but not the whole entire movie."

i nodded, still feeling awkward. luckily, the bus was barreling down the street. "you can sit next to the window. fifth seat, passenger side. maybe less people will bother you."

he nodded before climbing onto the stopped bus. the driver asked if he was louis, checking off some boxes on a sheet. louis was then able to go back to his seat, and kids started to whisper.

i piled in next to him, our legs and shoulders firmly pressed together. i was pretty sure those seats weren't made for two teenage students. oh well.

the girl behind us poked louis' shoulder. he turned around, a fake smile on his face. "your louis partridge!" she exclaimed, pulling her phone out. "picture?"

louis shook his head. "no, sorry. i can meet you, but no pictures."

she looked down, clearly upset. i guess it wasn't nice to meet a small celebrity, she just wanted proof she had seen him. "no, thanks." she muttered, typing furiously on her phone.

louis and i turned back around, and as more people flooded onto the bus the louder it got, and i could always catch louis' name in their conversations.

i leaned into him, our cheeks barely grazing. "i'm sorry." i whispered, finding his hand in his lap and rubbing it. "this is bullshit."

his head turned towards mine a millimeter, but it pressed our cheeks closer. "it's okay, it's not your fault. i can live with it, they'll get used to me."

"but it's not okay. they think they can just use you." i argued back, not backing off. i wouldn't let him think that it was okay to just let people try to use you for fame.

louis sighed, evidently upset with me. "y/n, please. i promise i know what i'm doing. i won't let them use me, i promise."

i huffed, resting my head on his shoulder. "i know you won't. i'm sorry."

he was rigid. "i know you are."

that was kind of rude. i picked up my head, looked down at my hands. i would have gotten on my phone, but of course it was taken from me.

i didn't know why louis was being rude, or why he was stiff when i laid my head on him.

maybe he didn't want to be my friend anymore.