twenty eight

i watched as the whole partridge family embraced, happy to see their husband and father back. i looked over at my mother, who was watching with a slight smile on her face. after a minute they came apart, and when i saw louis' face i swear my heart exploded.

he looked so happy. he had this huge grin on his face, his cheeks were rosy. he had this look in his eyes that was impossible to explain, all i could gather from it was that he was so excited his father was back with the rest of them.

he turned to me and gestured for my mother and i to come over with a wave of his hand, so i stood up, turning my head the slightest bit to see my mother following me. i make my way to stand next to louis, who wraps an arm around my waist, holding me to him.

his dad looked over at me, slight recognition washing over his face. louis picked up on it and said, "this is y/n. do you remember her? our neighbor and my best friend?"

"ohhh, yes, i do! well, she certainly isn't a little girl anymore." i smiled a little bit in slight discomfort. his eyes flickered down to louis' hand on my waist then he looked back up at us. "are you guys a thing now? or is this just friendly?"

"oh, um, yeah we're dating." i said, wanting to leave the awkward situation. louis picked up on my discomfort, and moved his hand to my back and rubbed it lightly with his fingertips.

"well, gotta continue the family name!" he said, clapping louis on the back. "good on you, son."

i widened my eyes as mr. partridge walked towards my mother, turning my face towards louis. "oh my god?" i said, in shock that he said that. it sounded like mr. partridge only saw me as a way to keep his family going.

"i'm sorry about that." louis said quietly, his hand on my arm.

i nodded, knowing that it wasn't louis' fault. we focused in on the conversation that the rest of the group was having, and that's when i heard something that made my heart stop.

"i think the only perk of being in italy alone was the fast wifi we had at the house." louis' dad said.

i thought louis said he didn't have wifi?

i looked over at louis, stepping out of his reach. i watched as his face fell, almost in slow motion. he lied to me. he was a fucking liar. i shook my head and headed towards the front door, opening it and leaving, hearing everyone else's confusion.

october 6

i was at school, avoiding louis at all costs. he tried to talk to me on the bus and in science, and now at lunch. to add onto everything, the school knew we were dating now and so many people tried to talk to me about it, but i always ignored them.

i sat at a table with lilia, ralph, amandla, andres, and cylia, eating a salad. i had told them what happened with louis, and they all collectively agreed to not talk to him until louis and i made up.

if we ever did.

he lied to me. he chose to not talk to me. and that hurt so bad.

the liar was sat with olivia and ingrid, his eyes staring at me. i glanced up and made eye contact accidentally, and that seemed to invite him over.

i looked at andres, who was across from me, and widened my eyes dramatically. louis came up besides him and was practically begging me to look at him.

"y/n, please let me explain." he said, his voice strained.

i ignored him. i stabbed my salad with a fork and shoved it into my mouth, watching andres. my eyes wanted to flick to louis, but i knew that if i did he would have won.

andres started to talk about pe and how much he didn't want to run the track today, helping me out. he was such a great friend.

"oh my god, i know. especially when coach makes us run a few laps. i literally almost throw up." i said, putting the lid back on my salad and putting it back in my lunchbox.

i downed my water, squishing the plastic bottle down after i finish. louis was still staring at me, and i glanced at him for a split second before mentally punching myself.

"y/n, please. let me explain." he pleaded.

and i finally snapped. "louis, why would you lie to me?" i demanded, looking him right in the eye, raising my eyebrows. "you're a liar."

"i know, i know, and i'm so so sorry. i just- i didn't know how to talk to you after i just left. and then i just couldn't bring myself to call you after that long." he explained.

"that's such bullshit!" i said, standing up. "you were just a shit friend, just say it. and you still are, louis."

i pushed away from the table, grabbing my lunchbox and backpack. i stormed away to the nearest bathroom, slamming a stall shut and leaning against the wall, squeezing my eyes shut.

i trusted him. and i really, really liked him. nearly every single moment we spent together was happy, and then it was brought to my attention that he lied to me.

i felt stupid. why wouldn't he have any wifi or internet? i should've questioned him from day one when he said that. but i didn't. i wanted to believe that louis, my best friend, was perfect. the perfect friend. the perfect boyfriend.

but he wasn't. he lied to me.

i heard the door to the bathroom open, and two sets of feet walk in.

"y/n?" amandla called out softly. "are you in here?"

"yeah, yeah, i am." i said, opening my eyes and unlocking the stall.

i saw lilia and amandla standing there, sympathy washed over their faces.

"um, so whenever you left we chewed him out and he walked back to his table like a dog with his tail between his legs." lilia said, trying to provide me some comfort.

i smiled a little bit before it fell. "thanks guys. i just- i just trusted him. and, to be honest.. i think i love him, guys."

and then i cried. i couldn't hold it in anymore. and they held me as i just poured everything out to them. they listened and hummed their agreements, being good friends.

the rest of the day went on, louis trying to talk to me constantly, me paying more attention to other people rather than him.

we got off of the bus, and i walked as fast as i could to my house, shutting the door, sealing me away from louis.

i did my homework and watched the outer banks, just trying to keep my mind off of him and more on drew starkey.

but, whenever he called me, all of those attempts went away. i sighed and picked up, a tiny smidge of me hoping he had a good answer.

"y/n, i'm sorry." louis said, and by the sound of his voice i knew that he had been crying.

i felt bad, but i pushed that feeling away. he should feel bad. "you should be." i said, sitting up on my bed. "what do you want?"

"i just wanted to say i was such a stupid eleven year old-"

"yeah, louis, you were. and i was stupid to have believed your bullshit excuse. louis, for both of our sakes, i'm breaking up with you. okay? until you can give me an actual good apology. and who knows, we might not ever get back together. i have to be able to trust you again. and i can't do that now. goodbye, louis." i said, hanging up, not giving him a chance to answer. if he said anything, i may have just ran back to him.