thirteen

despite my belief that louis was upset with me, i felt an overwhelming sense to protect him when we stepped off the bus and it was basically free game. anyone could step up and snatch him away. i wouldn't let that happen.

he doesn't know his way around, plus these people only want to be his friend for the fame. i'm not naive, and neither is louis. the only people who i'm going to let near his today is me and my friend group.

sure, it seemed bitchy but honestly i didn't care. i had no clue who to trust and who not to trust. i only could assume they wanted louis just to leech off of his fame.

we walked a bit to the front of the school, and there was where the crowd thickened. my hand wrapped around louis' wrist. "i need you to stay with me so we can go verify you're here and get your schedule." i explained, looking over at my brown haired friend.

he gulped, obviously nervous. "yeah." he opened his mouth to say more, but then a girl stepped up.

she had her shiny blonde hair hanging loose around her face, a thick layer of lip gloss over her thin lips. "hi, louis! my friends and i are the unofficial welcoming committee- we can show you around if you want!"

that was a blatant lie. there has never been any sort of welcoming committee, official or not. "bullshit!" i blurted out, slightly stepping up. "there's never been any welcoming committee, you just want to leech off of louis. hate to break it to you, but you can't. go."

the girl glared at me, her glossy lips forming a hard line. "listen, bitch. maybe you're too much of an outsider to get in on any information here. i've been in this welcoming committee for a few weeks. fuck off, and let go of louis. you're hurting his wrist."

i scoffed, tightening my grip on louis. he looked over at me, startled. "excuse me? i don't even know who the hell you are, so obviously you aren't very important. if i'm considered an outsider and i still know the 'popular' people's names and know what's happening here, obviously you aren't fucking relevant. now, please, step aside because i don't think louis wants to get to know you." i shoved past her, dragging louis along with me.

"y/n, you really didn't have to do that." louis said from beside me.

"yes i did. listen, louis. people here are going to try to use you to get famous. i hate to be a bitch and all but i wouldn't trust these people."

out of my peripheral vision i could see his head shake. "that's not what i mean. you didn't have to be rude to her."

i sighed, exasperated. "louis! she's a bitch, wasn't that obvious when she spoke to me?" i led him into the building, pushing through the glass doors and past other gawking students.

"what if she was only talking like that because you were so quick to be a bitch to her? she may just match how someone else speaks to her!" louis fired back, but he still let me drag him to the front desk.

i pursed my lips, anger starting to bubble up inside of me. is he really calling me a bitch right now? "are you really going to call me a bitch?" i asked, finally standing in front of the receptionist's desk.

louis yanked his wrist out of my grasp, his eyes portraying his annoyed state. "i'm saying you're being bitchy." he tapped the bell at the desk, signaling the woman that we needed assistance.

i pressed my lips together, starting to feel like i would cry. when i argue with people that i actually care about, i get this feeling that i need to cry. "okay." i started, letting out a breath. "if i'm so bitchy, then let her take you on a tour. let her show you to your classes, louis. eat with her at lunch. if i'm so bitchy clearly you don't need me." i stepped back, starting to walk away from him.