thirty

oct 10, 2020
LOUIS' POV

finally, it was saturday. we had the picnic packed, it included strawberries, watermelon, diagonally cut ham and cheese and chicken salad sandwiches, lemonade and water, cheeses, and chocolates. i set the basket in the backseat of the car, putting a folded up quilt with flowers embroidered on it on top. in the front passenger seat, i put a bouquet of flowers i picked out at a floral shop. i wasn't quite sure on what flowers they were, but they were yellow, red, and orange with some filler flowers mixed in.

i plugged my phone into the car and played a playlist that i tailored to fit y/n's music taste. i glanced over my outfit, a white collared shirt, a baby blue sweater thrown over it with black pants and some white converse.

i sprayed on a cologne i knew y/n liked, and dabbed it at my neck and wrists before hiding it in the glovebox of the car.

"here goes nothing." i said with a heavy breath, driving out of the driveway and down in front of her house. i was just trying to make it less of a walk.

i grabbed the flowers and got out, walking up the path to her door. i rang the doorbell and stood, bouncing on the balls of my feet.

the door opened, and i was greeted by y/n's mother. "oh, hello, louis." she said, swinging the door open to let me in. "come on in."

i came in and stood in the foyer awkwardly. "hi, mrs. l/n. um, so i don't know if y/n told you..."

"i know about the break up." she said gently. "i guess you're here to get her back?"

i nodded, a small laugh escaping my lips. "yeah, yeah i am. i have things for a picnic in the car, i just need to get her to go with me."

"i'll call her down." her mother said, taking a breath before yelling up the stairs. "y/n, come down! you have a visitor."

it took a moment before i heard her door open and close, and i saw her come down the stairs, looking down at her feet.

she looked up and made eye contact with me, her face going blank. "hi, y/n." i said, offering a smile.

she didn't smile back. "what're you doing here?"

"y/n, i'm so so sorry. i want to make it up to you, and maybe explain more. i really miss you, and i was hoping you'd go with me. please." i said, biting my lip nervously.

her lips tightened as she glanced at the bouquet. "oh." i said, extending them to her. "these are for you."

she took them, holding them close to her chest.

fuck, she's gorgeous.

her mother leaned in and whispered something in her ear, and y/n's eyes traveled over me. i shifted awkwardly, clasping my hands behind my back.

finally, she gave an answer. "okay. i'll go."

i grinned and nodded. "great. yeah, okay."

she handed her mother the flowers. "here, put them in a vase, please." she looked back at me, glancing at the floor. "let me get changed."

she turned on her heel and hurried back up the stairs. i stood while her mother was away putting the flowers in the vase. i looked down at the floor until y/n came back.

she came down in a light yellow sweater vest, a long sleeved white button up shirt underneath it. she wore a black skirt that stopped a little above her knees, black tights that you could slightly see her skin under, and some doc martens.

she gripped her phone in one hand, her other hanging by her side. "i'm ready."

i smiled. "okay, great." i went to the front door and opened it, gesturing for her to go out first.

we got in the car, and i started the music up. jet black heart by 5 seconds of summer came on. i remembered the night in the park where she first showed it to me.

i felt her side eyeing me as i drove to the meadow we'd be having the picnic in. it took about two songs to get there, going from jet black heart to fool for you by zayn.

we made it to the empty parking lot, and i turned off the car. "um, i'm gonna go set it up. do you want to stay in the car? i'll lock it."

she nodded. "sure."

"alright." i said quietly, rolling a window down a tiny bit for air. i got out and opened the door behind mine, grabbing the picnic basket and the quilt.

i walked a good ways into the meadow and found a cleared out spot specifically meant for picnics. and set up. i laid out the quilt and put all of the foods and drinks on top of it.

i hurried back to y/n and opened her car door. "okay, it's this way."

she walked next to me in silence as we made our way to the picnic. when we got there, i heard a small gasp from her. i looked over at her, a smile on my face. "c'mon."

she came and sat down on the blanket, i sat diagonal from her. "okay, so there's ham and cheese sandwiches, and chicken salad sandwiches. take your pick."

she grabbed a half of both, and we ate. we ate and drank all of the foods and drinks i had brought, or at least we put a good dent in it.

"y/n." i said, catching her eye. "i'm sorry. when i was eleven i didn't want to hurt your feelings, as the years went on it was just harder to talk to you. how would i even start if i did somehow get a hold of you? when i was fourteen i finally tried to call you again, but you had gotten a new phone number, and my parents didn't talk to your parents anymore. it was so stupid and i wishes i could fix it all. i'm so sorry i was such an idiot. i hate it when you're mad at me, please forgive me, y/n. i love you."

Y/N'S POV

i froze as he told me that he loves me. i looked him in the eyes, his hopeful and pained eyes, and spoke. "louis. i love you, too. so much. that's why i was so hurt when i learned you lied to me and didn't talk to me by choice. i just couldn't believe someone that i love so much would do that to me."

suddenly he got onto his knees and leaned across the blanket, holding my face in his hands. then he kissed me. he kissed me so hard, and i knew that we both missed our kisses.

he pulled his lips away and leaned his forehead against mine. "i'm sorry." he whispered.

"i know, louis. i know you're sorry, you don't have to keep saying it." i said, kissing him quickly again.

deep down, i knew that i was still hurt. i probably would be for a while. that stuff hurts. someone who you thought would never stop talking to you suddenly does, and then when you find out that they chose to hurts.

but i had him back. he had me back. and we could heal together.