Career Plan

My heart pounded uncontrollably was I returned to my dorm, and not just because I had run whole way back. It was incredibly mind clearing to learn about him, like the weight of curiosity had been lifted off of my shoulders.

     I threw myself on my bed, and immediately emailed the office informing them I'd be changing classes. There was still a lot I wanted to know about Axel, and the only way to know was to ask him. I smiled when I remembered how easily he had asked me about myself. He was so free minded.

______________________________________

     Owen walked with me alone to class today, Charlie and Gorge had extra classes they took in the morning. Owen had noticed my unusually airy mood, asking me about it. 

     "Um, I just got my phone fixed." I told him, which wasn't necessarily a lie. 

     "So, Charlie was thinking of going to the usual cafe after school. What are your thoughts?" He asked very seriously. 

     "What do you mean, thoughts?" I ask, "Won't it just be like normal?"

     "No, no. There will be girls there." He added. I momentarily stopped, and he turned back to look at me. "What? Do you have a hard time around women?" he asked.

     "Y-Yeah, something like that." I mumble, feeling heat rush to my face. My mind goes back to last night, and how Axel had explained it. 'Girls just weren't doing it for me', he'd said. Owen laughs, and walks ahead of me. "Don't worry, you're better looking than you think."

     "What? To who's expectations?" I yell running after him. "No running in the halls!" he says, running away from me. Owen was a strange kid.

     I chased him until we had to turn different ways, and he waved me goodbye. I stopped outside the class door, mentally preparing myself. If Axel was already there, where would I sit? Next to him? Random scenarios started playing in my head, and I forced myself to find the outcome for each one before entering. 

     "Hey, are you just gonna stand there or...?" Says a student behind me. I jump away from the door, startled. He walks in the class, giving me a weird stare. I had already messed up. 

     Axel wasn't there yet, so I had time to pick a seat. I kept my eyes on the door again, but this time, I was eager for his arrival. He was one of the last students to walk in, taking a seat in the middle of class. 

      He lifted his head, scanning the classroom and stopping at me. His hand goes to cover his mouth, holding in a laugh. 

    Just then, Mrs. Jean comes running in the door. "I'm so sorry I'm late! I couldn't find the homework sheets, they were under my bed." She looks around the room, seeing who was here. 

     "Oh? Jason and Axel are back. I'm glad you two switched back to this class! That does mean I'll have to change the whole attendance sheet, but don't feel guilty or anything! That's my job as a teacher." She says.

     She was an utter mess. But her clumsy nature aside, what's this about Axel changing back too? I thought he had always been in this class. Mrs. Jean began attendance, then went on with the hour long lesson. At the end, she walked around handing us all sheets of paper. 

     "So, here are your career plans! I know most of you will inherit your family business after school, so you can just put that as the answer if you want." She says. I looked down at my sheet, reading the questions. 

    I knew I would have to take over the company since dad was dead, or my Uncle would have to run it himself. I sighed, filling in the boxes where our answers were required. 

     After class, I shoved my things into my bag and walked over to Axel's desk. He was leaned over his paper, tapping his pencil on the desk. I sat backwards in the desk in front of him, crossing my arms on his desk.

     "I didn't think you'd actually switch classes." He smiles, keeping his eyes on the paper. 

     "And what about you? I didn't know you were taking a different class." I say, proud that I was able to start a normal sentence with him. 

     "Your paper's empty," I notice. He clenches the pencil in his hand, his knuckles turning white. I  immediately regretted my words, remembering his family situation. Of course it wouldn't be easy to put down the company he would eventually inherit. 

     He abruptly gathered his things, standing up. "I'll walk you to your next class." 

     We left the classroom, saying goodbye to Mrs. Jean. "I can help you, if you want. With your career plan." I offer, looking away to hide the redness in my cheeks. 

     "You wanna break the rules again, Jason?" He murmured, low enough so no one heard. My heart beat so intensely I thought it would break a hole in my chest. I couldn't even respond, I just kept my eyes on my feet making sure I didn't trip. 

     "Well you know where to find me. This paper won't do itself." He says, taking off in a different direction.