Back Home

"You must carry out their duty, or they died for nothing." He said, standing up from his chair. I let what he said seep in, and the voices started to whisper, telling me what I'd done wrong. I couldn't handle all that was being thrown at me.

     He left my room, slamming the door behind me. The door didn't click, so he hadn't locked me in. He was giving me a choice; run from my problems or deal with them.

     "I'm sorry, sir." I mumbled after him, grabbing my wallet and phone. I needed to leave. I needed to leave immediately, I didn't even know where. I called an Uber to his house, leaving my stuff inside. I wasn't especially materialistic, so the clothes I'd brought weren't that important to me. 

     I felt bad, Aunt Helen's food would go uneaten. I would never get a chance to say goodbye to her. When I saw the Uber had arrived from my window, I skipped down the stairs careful not to get caught by any servants. 

     I told the Uber to go to my old house address, since my father still owned that house and the property around it.

     I found myself once more, driving through London. I hadn't imagined for today to take such dramatic turns. Unlike James, I doubt we could intimidate my Uncle into keeping me and Axel's relationship a secret.

     I took out my phone, scrolling down to Axel's contact once more. I felt ashamed on how late I was to respond to him, especially on the day he'd landed. The Uber stopped in my old house driveway, letting me get out. 

     I liked this place. It wasn't too big or fancy like the one my father had bought in America, or like my Uncle's. It was nostalgic and peaceful. The woods that I had spent countless summers exploring in still stood behind it, looming over the house. 

     The first thing I did, before I even went inside, was call Axel. The phone rang for a while as I stood there in suspense, waiting for him to pick up. 

     "Hey, I'm probably doing something amazing right now and can't answer the phone. I might call you back... I might not. See ya."

    "At the tone, please record your voice message."

     "Oh. Um, hi. I'm sorry I couldn't respond earlier, I had a few things to take care of. You're probably tired beyond belief so just call me when your can... or not." I didn't like this, it felt like I was talking to a machine. I wanted to feel his voice close to me.

     "I miss you." I murmured, hanging up the phone. I sighed, putting my it in my back pocket. I really, really missed him.

     I turned the knob on the front door, opening it with a bit of force. Vines had grown along the outside of the house, giving it an eire atmosphere. 

     The lights didn't turn on when I tried, they only flickered then burned out. I looked around in the kitchen drawers until I found a piece of paper, starting a shopping list. I'd need new lightbulbs, bottled water, enough clothes for two weeks, soap...

     I spent my first thirty minutes thinking about what the run-down house would need to be livable again. I would be staying there for the rest of spring break, after all.