Helplessness

I stressfully walked to the Hotel Axel had told me about, massaging my left hand to try and calm down. It was nerve wracking when I had still been in Axel's house, trying to escape without getting caught. 

     He had said he'd meet me there, but it would probably take him a while to fix things with his dad. The place he'd told me about was fancier than I'd imagined, and it seemed ridiculous to rent it for only one night. I should've stayed with him, convinced him to fly back to London with me. This whole situation was spiraling out of control.

     I sulked over to the front desk to make a reservation, surprised by how little people were there. I guess it was the middle of the day in Los Angeles, people would want to go sight seeing. 

     "Hello, can I make a reservation please? Under the name Jason, thanks." I said, looking in my pockets for my phone.

     "Our only open room is in the process of being cleaned at the moment, so you'll have to wait in the Lobby for an hour or so." The front desk lady smiled. 

     "Can I still make the reservation?" I ask.

     "Yes, sir." 

     "Ok, then let's do that." I sigh, handing her my card. I walked around the Lobby, surprised when I found it was a big circle. I found a rather comfortable looking chair, plopping down in it. It had been one hell of a stressful day, and sleep was sounding like a really good idea. 

     I let my eyes close, and slowly drifted into unconsciousness.

____________________________________________________

     I was woken up by the loud sound of a bell, ringing throughout the city. I still couldn't see that well, having just woken up from my nap. I checked my watch, surprised that a whole hour and a half had passed while I slept. 

     I meandered over to the front desk, asking the lady if the room was ready.

      "Mr. Wilson, correct? I have a message I must send you." She says, looking carefully at her computer screen. 

     My phone rings in my back pocket, and I go to open the email forwarded to me. 

     Listen I know how petty it is to say this in an email, but my phone was taken and I can only talk through my work email address. By the time you get this he will have completely blocked off my communication, so there'll be no shot of trying to get ahold of me then.

      I'm sorry this is all so sudden, I really tried to talk to him this time. The last time this happened, I wasn't able to see anyone I knew for years. Chances are the same thing is going to happen again, and he'll do everything in his power to keep us from seeing each other.

     I got you a one way flight back to London, so I want you to take it. I really do love you, so please try and be okay without me? Don't get all sad, that would be stupid. You're not stupid. Go live a life filled with biscuits and sunsets.

     I stared at the email for a while, reading it over and over. He couldn't mean what he said, it sounded like he was so ready to give up. 

     I barely saw the incoming call on my phone through my tear filled eyes, but quickly wiped them so I could see who it was. It was an unknown number, but it could've been Axel who found some way to call me.

     "H-Hello?" I stammer, walking to a more private part if the Lobby. 

     "Jay? I'm sorry to call so late, but I was hoping I could speak to you." I recognized her voice almost immediately as Auroras, but what would she be doing calling me?

     "Um sorry, but talk about what?" I ask.

     "About what? About the Wedding, obviously! Now your Uncle informed us it was to be held within two weeks, so I'd like to get together before then to discuss the details?" She sounded more nervous than I felt.

     Wait, hold on, Wedding? So my Uncle hadn't told her? He pretended nothing had changed? But how had he played off what happened when I was at his house? I thought for sure that after that Aurora's father wouldn't want me to marry his daughter. 

     "So, I'll see you this Wednesday. You promised to take me to Corrigans Mayfair, after all." She said, then hung up. 

     It was safe to say, I was doomed. There was nothing I could do about my situation. My life was completely out of my control. I felt the crushing truth unfold into me; there was nothing I could do. Men more powerful than me had tried to stop Axel'd dad, and now I was facing Aurora's and my Uncle's business. I couldn't go against them all.

     I felt utterly defeated as I went to the front desk, taking back my reservation. It was decided for me; I'd fly back to London and Marry Aurora. There was nothing I could do.