Reality

My sickness only lasted a few hours after Aurora left, but the soup lasted me a few days. I spent my time up until Wednesday trying to communicate with Axel or his family. To my disappointment, it was as he said it would be; completely cut off. 

     I wrapped myself in a huge comforter I found in the closet, and sat on the couch. I decided it was finally time to face my situation. Ignoring the dark thoughts and hoping my life would fix itself would never work.

     Before I could begin, my phone loudly rang. I looked to see who could possibly be calling me in my time of despair, surprised when Charlie's name popped up on my screen.

     "Hey, Charlie?" I clear my throat, trying to hide the distress in my voice.

     "Jason? What happened to you, bud?" He said, easily breaking through my facade. 

     "Well you sound like you're having a good time." I accused, curling my legs in my blanket.

     "Yeah, dude! You should come down to America! Everything's fried, and I mean everything!" He exclaims, causing slight feedback through the phone.

     "No, no I'm not going back there." I grimace, shaking my head. I wouldn't go somewhere where he was so close, yet so unattainable. 

     "Ohh yeah, you spent some childhood years down in the states, huh? Anyway, I got good news! Maddy has some friends back in London, and she said she's willing to set them up with you!" He says, sending a cold chill down my spine.

     "Um, no thanks Charlie. I'm getting married in a couple weeks." I sigh, glad it could at least be used as an excuse.

     "Jason, did you just say marriage? As in only one girl for the rest of your life? I could never. You're a better man than me." He admitted.

     "You're letting your true colors show, Charles. Besides, I'm not interested in other women anyway." Which was true; I wasn't interested in women.

     "Well, whatever butters your biscuits. I'm the best man at the Wedding, right? Gorge would never stand in front of a crowd, and Owen would be too busy cleaning up trash from the isles." He persuaded, making me giggle.

     "You'd do nothing but try to upstage me. I'll tell you if I need a flower boy, though." I say, hanging up the phone before he can respond.

     I wrapped tightly in my blanket, and walked over to the fridge. Aurora's soup remains were finished, I was done for. Cooking wasn't necessarily a specialty of mine.

     "Honestly. I come to pick you up, and here I find you in worse condition than the last time!" She was suddenly in my house again, the front door wide open.

     "Do I not have a lock on that? How do you keep getting in?" I mumble, watching her walk over to me.

     She ripped the blanket off me and threw it on the ground. "Get properly dressed, Wilson! Did you forget about our d-date?" She stammered, pointing the my sweats.

     "Oh, was that today?" I pondered, picking up the blanket she threw. She glared at me until I put it down, so I had the feeling she wanted to leave now. 

     I trudged up the stairs, looking around for some acceptable clothing. I could almost hear Aurora's impatience, so I hurried my pace. I almost had my outfit complete, but my favorite tie wasn't in the closet. When I came back downstairs, I found her dusting the kitchen.

     "There's a bag over on the floor that's been there since Sunday when I was here. Be more tidy with your things, Jay." She sighed, pointing to it. 

     It was the bag I had brought to LA with me. She was right, I should've put that away. I rummaged around inside it, hoping I might find my tie. I caught ahold of something small, shock running through me as I realized what it was. How had he managed to sneak this in without me seeing? 

     I found the tie I was looking for, and quickly wrapped it around my neck. Tears began to fill my eyes again, but I wiped them before Aurora could see. In the email, he had more or less told me to get over him. How could I move on if I had a piece of him with me? He was contradicting himself. 

     "Jay? What are you looking at? No matter, we must leave. I have a car lined out front." She says, coming over to me. 

     "R-Right, one second." I stammer, shoving the bracelet in the couch cushions. I don't know if he meant it as a symbol to remember him by, but I despised it. It showed how easily he gave up on us. Even though I could do nothing about it, I couldn't accept the fact that I might never see him again.