Dinner Party

PRESENT TIME

     I saw her in an entirely different light now. I knew her. She was exactly the same in a lot of ways, like her in-human gracefulness and stubborn remarks. I no longer felt uncomfortable with her body so close, and the feeling of wanting to protect her returned.

     Regardless, I couldn't find any part of me that wanted to marry her. It made my heart ache; I wanted to be able to give her what she deserved. I still felt a lot for her, just not in the way she though. I didn't know how I was going tell her, I could feel how relieved she felt when she realized I'd remembered our childhood. 

     "I used to come over every summer." She sighed, her eyes lost in a sea of old memories. I felt extremely guilty; how could I have forgotten? She was like a little sister to me for the longest time. I was there the for the first time she rode her bike, when she graduated elementary school. Our parents had also gotten quite close, so I could imagine why they'd want us to join in marriage.

     "You were always so stubborn." I laughed, remembering when how she refused to cry when badly hurt. "It inspired me, though. You were unstoppable." Her eyes light up as she tries to conceal the smile creeping on her lips.

     "I'd only tie you down, you know." I said, looking away from her questioning gaze. We were almost to the dining room; I could tell by the faint sound of chattering voices. 

     "If I had to choose someone to tie me down, it would be you." She whispered.

     That's right; she was stubborn. It would take more than talking to her to make her back down. 

     We opened the doors to the dining hall, revealing the long table with Aurora's family at the end. My Aunt and Uncle sat near them, laughing and chatting. 

     My Uncle didn't look up when we entered the room, he continued his conversation with the Lundborg's. The appetizers had already been served, so they must've been hungry.

     "Jason, come sit next to your future mother-in-law." Aurora's mom chimed, patting the seat next to her. I remembered her face immediately, she and my mom would always chat and make tea inside. 

     "A-About that. Are we really getting married?" I asked, sitting down. My Uncle swiftly glared at me, warning me of my boundaries. 

     "Of course, love! You were always hanging around each other as children, it's such a shame you moved." She said, squeezing my hand. "But now that Lily and Marshal are no longer with us, it's up to you to run their company. That means making alliances, sweetheart." 

     "I'm not fond of giving my daughter away either. Remember, looks aren't everything." Her father grunted, squinting at me. 

     Her parents were interesting people, and they weren't anything like her. They were just how I remembered them though, and it made me kind of happy.

     It made me realize that I never forgot her, I just didn't think she was the same girl as the one from my childhood. When I saw her for the first time again, she looked worn out. The flame that burned so brightly inside her before had gone away. I don't know what had happened during the years we hadn't spent together, it made me feel kind of guilty.

     I looked down at my watch again, seeing it was about eight. Axel had already landed. He was going to face his father right now, alone. Aurora's family wasn't leaving, they just sat and talked with us. 

     "Richard, Helen! We need to have a little chat about the wedding." Aurora's mom whispered. I don't know if she was trying to conceal it from us, but she wasn't doing a very good job of it. "Kids, out in the garden! Give us a few moments, okay?" She said, shooing us away.

     "Er, us?" I asked, pointing to me and Aurora. They all nodded. How could they have the nerve to call us children while discussing our wedding?

     I took her out of the room, and towards the back. I hadn't noticed it during dinner, but there were soft pattering sounds on the roof. We looked out the windows, only to see it was pouring outside.

     "So much for the garden, huh?" I said, looking at the soaked flowers. Aurora held my arm, and looked out of the window with me. It was kind of peaceful; no other people were around. Just us looking out the rainy window.

     "I'm sorry about my dotting parents." Aurora mumbled. She looked embarrassed, but I knew how much she loved them both. 

     "They're good people. Our moms got along well; I remember." I sighed.

     She was silent for a moment, listening to the sounds of rain on the roof. "Tell me... tell me how they died."