LA

I said goodbye so Annie, assuring her parents I was fine when they apologized for not being more attentive. They insisted on treating me to food from the Airport cafe; it was way more filling than biscuits. 

     "She's always had a thing for Amari, her mom and I were coworkers. Her family used to bring African food over for dinner, and Annie fell for her right away. " Her mom giggles, pulling a chair up to the table for Annie. 

     "Used to?" I asked, sipping on my latte. 

     "From what I heard, Amari loved New York City. That's probably why her parents decided to have her funeral here." She murmured, cutting up Annie's food.

     My mouth momentarily dropped, but I played it off by taking a bite of my eggs. I didn't understand; did Annie not know? This didn't seem like it had happened recently, her mom talked about it as if it was years ago. Annie sat at the table, happily kicking her legs.

     "We've come every year to visit her grave, and it's the time that Annie's the happiest. She's extremely emotionally mature for her age, do you wan't know what she said? She said, 'Well I want to talk to her even if it's one sided. She still needs company, even underground.' Can you believe that?" She looked extremely proud as she looked down at her daughter, patting her head. 

     It made me think; what would've my mom done about me and Axel? It was my father who had set the views on homosexual relationships, but I don't know what my mom would've said. I was very happy for AnneMarie, she had wonderful parents who were proud of her. Regardless, I couldn't imagine my life without Axel. 

     Her father joined us at the table, explaining how he had finished renting a car to leave. Annie waved goodbye to me as they walked away, and cupped her hands around her mouth to yell something at me.

     "Remember your promise! Marry that pretty boy for me!" She says, earning annoyed looks from strangers.

__________________________________________________

     I wasn't sure what kind of impression Annie and her family had left on me. It made me grateful for what I had, but also sad about what I didn't.     

     My next flight didn't leave for another hour, so I wandered around the Airport looking at souvenirs. Despite living in America for a good four years of my life, I had never been to New York. I couldn't see very much but vast fields from the windows, since we weren't in the city.

     I continued to check my phone for texts or calls from Axel, while being mindful of the time. The flight to LA couldn't be more interesting then the one here; headphones would definitely be needed to pass the time. When I saw mine were tangled again, I gave up and decided to buy some from an electronic store in the Airport.

     I searched until I found the closest one, but immediately turned around when I recognized the black logo plastered to the sign. His father really was something, even having his stores in Airports. I'd rather untangle one thousand earbuds then buy something from his filthy company.

     A flight attendant announced the arrival of our plane on the PA, so I quickly returned to the gate. I was right; this flight was way more boring than the one here. The only reason I enjoyed it was because I knew where I was going, who I was seeing. 

     When the plane began to land in LA, I instinctively looked down at the empty seat next to me. I hoped that wherever Annie was, she kept the innocent smile on her face. 

     I thought about getting a rental car, but the process was too complicated and unnecessary. An Uber was the best option. What's weird was that it had been more than nine hours, but since I had traveled so far it was still morning. 

     I'd have to rely on the internet to find where Axel lived, it was a big city. The traffic was stressful even from the passenger seat, and they were on the opposite side of the road. I shuddered to think of myself driving in this mess. 

     After a bit of research, I found that Axel lived on street called Rodeo Drive. I didn't even think to look at the beautiful scenery, I was only focused on getting to him. Annie's words echoed in my head, forcing things I'd rather not think about to resurface. If I was coming here to visit his grave, could I smile like how she did?