Chapter 2

Pocket, 2017.

"Saint. I'm so sorry to do this... but Mary's going to move in" Mark said while scratching on his arm. "And we're expecting a baby. So I'm afraid that you have to move out. You know with how small this house is, and we need to have a nursery"

Saint just tightened his grip on the backpack across his lap. He just got home from his friend's house, Bebe when Mark said he had something to talk to him.

Mark noticed his uneasiness before he continued. "But you don't have to worry Son. I've talked to your mother."

Saint lifted his head when he heard about his mother. "When did you talked to her? She didn't say anything to me when we were talking yesterday" Saint asked his stepdad.

Mark scratched on his head again, "Urm, it was an emergency. Mary was fired from her work and we decided that it'd be better if he moved in with me."

Saint just stared at his skirt's hem while processing what his stepdad had said. The story was, Saint' parents were divorced. The petite boy didn't expect that those late at night's small arguments turned into bigger ones. He would always hear them shouting at each other from inside his bedroom. The cause of the arguments was common, money. His mother was the only one who paid for the bills, groceries and his school's fees while his stepdad refused to contribute at all.

One day, the hell broke loose when Mark admitted to his mother that he had a girlfriend and they were expecting a baby. Saint still remembered his mother's stoic face when she slapped Mark before asking for a divorce. They had agreed that Saint will stay with Mark for a few months while he finished school and his mother would take him to live with her in Bangkok. One of his mother's acquaintances had helped her to get a job as a maid in a rich family's mansion in Bangkok.

Before Saint parted with his mother at the bus station three months before, she had promised him that they would meet soon on Saint's graduation day. Well, Saint had finished school but he didn't expect that Mark was so eager for him to leave.

"But, my graduation is on tomorrow. And you expect me to move out tomorrow?" Saint asked unbelieving.

"I've discussed with your mother about that. She'll ask for a day off and come here to fetch you. You're going to stay with her."

Saint mind went blank. What else could he do? And where would he really stay? His real father? Out of the story. And he didn't want to be a burden to his mother. What about his dream to get a part-time job while studying in university

"Saint... are you okay?" Mark asked him warily.

"I guess..." Saint said slowly before he lifted his face. "I'm going upstairs to pack my belongings. It will be easier for me to move out tomorrow." Saint said before he left the living room without looking back at Mark who was sitting on the battered couch.

Saint was looking for his mother among the crowds when he was
hugged from behind by a pair of thin arms. He smiled before turning around.

"Congratulations Beb!" He said.

"Congratulations to you too my dear!" Bebe congratulated him. They took a few pictures as a commemoration before Bebe had to excuse herself. "I'm going to miss you so much. When will we meet again? Maybe we'll get in the same uni?" Bebe said to him.

Saint just smiled lightly. "I don't even know when will I continue my study. Maybe I'll be working first."

Bebe smiled reassuringly at him while squeezing on his shoulder. "It's alright Son. We still have many times. Don't forget to ring me when you need any helps."

"I'm going to miss you..." Bebe said while hugging him tightly.

"Me too..." Saint replied before they separated.