Chapter 3

Bangkok.

"Son, honey. Wake up. We need to take a cab."

Saint felt like he was just falling asleep when he was waken up by his mother's calm voice. He rubbed on his eyes before opening them to adjust on his surrounding. He noticed that the bus had stopped and the other passengers started to walk out of the bus.

He helped Jew to pick their bags from the bus storage before they went towards a cab driver who was already waiting for them. Saint just listened to his mother who was giving their destination's address to the driver.

The ride was quite pleasant. Saint glanced at the time on his phone, showing 6 in the morning. The colour of dusk started to dissipate and the orangey colour of sunrise peeking from the horizon. Saint felt the drive took about 15 minutes through the town before the cab was approaching into an estate-looking surrounding. Tall and old-looking trees were growing neatly along the big road.

From far, Saint could see a huge gate
with a guardhouse before it. The cab approached the gate when one of the guards stopped the car. Jew said something to him about their identification before the cab was allowed to enter. The cab moved again. The road was paved and green trees were planted neatly along the each side of the road. From his peripheral vision, Saint could see a large building started to show. His jaw hung slack. The building was a mansion. He could see the main building with a large driveway in front of it. The main building branched into another building on the each side.

Saint was lost for words before he felt his mother squeezed on his hand reassuringly. Saint was confused when he heard Jew told the driver to take the smaller road on their right side. That's when he noticed that the main road was only for the family members and their guests. The workers must use the side entrance. "Ahh... the difference" he thought.

The cab had stopped in front of a small gate. After they thanked and paid the driver, Jew asked for Saint to follow her. They entered the gate before she led Saint to a small hallway that had row of doors on each side. They arrived in front a small room with a number. Jew unlocked the room before she led Saint inside. It was a small room with a small bed in the corner with a small window on the bed's head. There was a drawer and a small table side by side with a stool. The workers shared a bathroom at the end of the hallway like a dorm.

"Son, this is my room and you're going to sleep here for a moment before they prepare a room for you." Jew explained.

"Mae, it's okay even if we share a room." Saint exclaimed while squeezing on his mother's hand.

Jew just smiled while brushing on his son chestnut's fringe. "You're a grown-up Son and I'm sure that you need your own space." She said.

Saint smiled at her while muttered, "I love you mae"

"Now I'm going to take a shower before I start my shift. Please have some rest and I'll bring breakfast for you."

It was on the evening when his mother came to get him. Jew brought him to a room that situated at the end if the worker's quarters before he knocked against the door.

"Come in." A clear voice sounded from behind the wooden block.

Jew twisted the knob before she entered the room with Saint trailed behind her. "Good evening Albert. I bring my son, Saint for his work briefing.

Albert was a middle-aged man with a fringe of grey-white hair around his balding. He was dressed in a neat black and white butler uniform. He wore a round framed glasses in front of his eyes. His stance seemed strong and sturdy. His eyes showed his intelligence and wise judgement. Saint could tell he was an important worker in that household.