Chapter 36

Next thing I know, I wake up to screaming. Not. Cool.

“Put her down!” someone yelled angrily.

Kakashi was no longer in my lap.

I sprang to my feet, eyes snapping open…

~Kakashi’s POV~

An unpleasantly familiar voice dragged me from my sleep, sounding as enthusiastic as ever.

I groaned, lifting a hand to my face to rub at my eyes.

“What are you doing here, Gai?” I asked, carefully sitting up.

The man stared at me with wide, blank eyes. There was something stranger than usual about him, his chakra flaring oddly.

“I have to kill you now,” he said happily, brandishing a kunai.

“…What?” I got to my feet as quickly as my body would allow, alarmed. “If this is some kind of stupid challenge…”

“Nope. The voice says you have to die now, Kakashi my man. So…” He lunged at me, narrowly missing my arm as I dodged around behind him.

“What voice, Gai?” I demanded, reaching for the missing pouch on my belt instinctively; my fingers closed on air.

“The one in my head, silly!” he explained, charging at me again.

“…Well, tell it to shut up,” I grunted, snatching a kunai of my own from Whisper’s belt.

“The voice says the cat should die, too, but you’re more important at the moment.”

I growled, ignoring the pain in my body and dodged him again, blocking the kunai he threw at me.

~Whisper’s POV~

My eyes landed on a huge, ugly, black… demon?!

Kakashi stood in front of it, in a fighting stance, facing… Gai?! Who was laughing and snarling at him; the demon was swinging Akina around the room.

“What the hell is going on?!” I exclaimed, wide eyed.

“Gai is acting crazier than usual. He just summoned that demon. Which makes me certain that that’s not Gai; he doesn’t use jutsu like that,” Kakashi explained, calmer now.

“Well…” I grumbled, pulling out a kunai, “What do we do now? Kill it?”

“Good luck with that,” not-Gai sneered, “The only thing being killed here is you, Kakashi.”

The demon snarled, shaking Aki in a very large, hairy fist.

“Okay. Have fun, Kakashi!” I chirped before dropping some weights and flitting behind the demon, and up its back.

“Gee, thanks,” he grunted, forming some hand-signs as his Sharingan snapped open.

I leapt onto it head, dodging furry fingers and jabbed it in the eyes, making it drop Aki. Of course, then it swatted me back into the wall… poor wall… got cracked…

“Too slow,” Not Gai mocked, charging forward to attack Kakashi close quarters, disrupting his signing.

He dodged the blow, jumping away and landing next to me.

“You okay?” he asked, breathing hard.

“Yeah… Peachy,” I rasped, couching a bit and then standing and cracking the bones back into place in my back. “It’s personal now.”

I pulled out a few of Takeo’s bombs, leaping all about the demon and placing them on it’s body.

“Get down!” I shouted, tackling Kakashi out of Not Gai’s way and made a hand sign.