Chapter 37 (finally!)

My head smacked hard against the floor, distorting me for a few minutes.

When my vision settled, Gerilynn was kneeling over Kakashi, healing light seeping from her fingers.

I groaned, the adrenalin leaving me shaking.

I used way too much chakra...

Managing to push myself up, I grabbed Temi's friend's offered hand, pulling myself to my feet.

"Are you alright?" he asked, his tone friendly and concerned.

"My house..." Gia moaned, looking around at the rubble.

"My head," I retorted, my fingers finally finding the large bump that had been hit twice, flinching.

"Here." Temi's friend laid a hand on the back of my head, the bruise disappearing after a second.

"Thanks," I smiled. I held out a shaky hand, "I'm Whisper Nakurama. You?"

"Liam of the North at your service, my lady," he grinned kissing my hand and bowing.

I laughed, blushing lightly. "Nice to meet you, Liam."

I glanced over at Kakashi, and started edging over. "Well...I'm just going... to, uh, check on him,"

I quickly jogged over, crouching beside him, ignoring the wound in my side. "Will he be okay?"

"Hopefully. If I did that right, he should be up in a few seconds... If not..." Gerilynn slumped against the wall next to him, exhausted.

Gia and Athena walked over, Shane bouncing behind them.

"This is getting old, but I think he may leave you alone now," Gia said, bending over to check his sister's work.

"Thank Kami," I sighed, leaning down to kiss his nose gently, sitting beside him to run my fingers through his hair just how he likes it.

"Mmm... I hate almost dying," he mumbled, leaning into my hand.

"Don't we all?" Gerilynn commented tiredly.

"Brekkin doesn't like getting his own hands dirty unless he really hates you; this was his version of 'screw off and get out of my life.'  He should back off," Gia explained as he inspected Gai.

"That'd be nice..." I muttered, glancing up at the hole in the ceiling. "Sorry about the hole..."

"Yeah... You there, Gai?" he asked, distracted.

The green guy stirred, mumbling something about youthful headaches.

"Get your 'youthful' ass up," I growled, flicking his forehead.

He grunted.

"You are Konaha's Great Green Beast," I said, rolling my eyes.

"That's me!" he exclaimed, jumping to his feet. "Where...? Where am I?" A confused look came over his face. "Last thing I remember, I was training in the forest..."

"Oh? Well, you got possessed, summoned a demon, and almost killed your best frienemy. No worries," I shrugged.

"WHAT?!" he exclaimed, suddenly seeming to notice Kakashi. "Kakashi? What happened?"

"You shoved a chakra blade through his chest," I informed him, going back to running my fingers through Kakashi's hair. "But he's all good now."

Gai gaped at me, "Who possessed me?"

"Brekkin. A very bad man," I replied, scooching closer to Kakashi.

"I...I don't know what t say..." Gai trailed, sounding crestfallen. "I didn't get to give him his card..." Gai pulled out a crumpled 'Get Well Soon' card.