Chapter 35

As soon as the dragons touched down, Gerilynn darted into the house, Kakashi still slung across her shoulders.

I struggled from Shira’s claws, jumping the rest of the way to the ground and sprinting after her, Gia hot on my heels.

She dropped him on the couch and dashed up the stairs.

I shifted him so that he was laying flat on his back as Gerilynn rushed back down with a black duffel and a book, and Gia came in through the door. Akina followed him, and Gia strode over, starting to unwrap his bandages.

I carefully sat on the couch, giving Gerilynn and Gia their space, but set Kakashi’s head on my lap. I ran a shaky hand through his hair as I watched them work.

Shane raced into the room, another duffel in his hand. “You’re back! Kakashi!” he exclaimed, dropping the bag and running around the back of the couch, examining.

“He used oil on him,” Gerilynn commented, peering at one of the slashes, which smelled terrible. “He must have put him through Hell.”

“Mm. We’ll need an extraction spell first for that. Then the wounds will at least be clean. There is no guarantee that we can close them; he may have to heal on his own,” Gia added, his hands starting to glow.

I winced slightly as the siblings got to work, imagining the pain he had gone through and was going through now.

“What do you mean by oil?” Akina asked as Athena rushed over suddenly, adding her magic to the others’.

“It’s called Seithr Oil. It burns everything flesh-based it touches, but nothing else. You can understand why that makes it such an ideal tool. It’s not native to this land; he must have imported it from Athena’s home,” Gia explained as he worked.

After about thirty minutes they all stepped back, exhausted.

“He should be fine,” Gia panted, wiping sweat from his now-pale brow.

Shane and Gerilynn sat down in the two armchairs in the room, the latter pressing her palms to her temples and breathing heavily.

Athena took out a silver flask, taking a sip before passing it to Gia; in quick succession, all of them drank, and then Gia, looking considerably stronger, spoke again.

“We couldn’t close them all the way, but they should heal easily on their own now, especially with the removal of the oil.”

“…Great…” Kakashi rasped, his eye cracking open as he struggled to sit up.

“Here,” Athena said, glancing at Gia before carefully helping the injured shinobi take a drink from the flask.

He coughed slightly, and then took a second drink.

As he settled back into the couch, I threw my arms around his neck and pressed my face into his chest.