Chapter 6

We paused at the tree line, and he glanced over at me, tucking his book away.

"The Hokage wants to see your abilities, so I'm taking you to the training grounds. You'll spar with a leaf ninja and he'll rank you."

I nodded, and followed him silently...

Who will I be sparring? I hope they aren't too good...

***

Kakashi led the way into the clearing and everyone's eyes swiveled in our direction. The Hokage was across from me, a rather scary looking kunoichi beside him, and a shinobi with bushy eyebrows (who I instantly dubbed the green caterpillar).

"Welcome, Whisper; we're ready to begin assessing you if you are ready," the Hokage more stated than questioned.

"Sure," I shrugged blankly, glancing at the Green Caterpillar. "I don't have to spar with him, right?"

Now he's kind of creepy lookin'...

The shinobi looked slightly crestfallen, but the Hokage simply chuckled, "No, you'll be fighting Gerilynn here."

The blonde teen raised an eyebrow, crossing her arms.

"You want me to assess this...girl? Isn't that a bit unfair?" she questioned, glancing at the old man.

"Excuse me? What were you going to call me?" I demanded, blinking in slight shock; I had not expected to be treated so rudely (though, I really should...)

"No, I don't think it's unfair. You are a very skilled kunoichi, and you have very fine control over your powers," the Hokage responded, both of them ignoring me completely.

"I appreciate the compliment, sir, but wouldn't Gia or Shane be better suited to a task like this? My team is waiting on me and we both know that they are infinitely more controlled than I am," she insisted, bowing slightly.

"Ahem," I cleared my throat, arching my brows higher; this was really pissing me off.

"Eh? Oh, right, the shrimp..." The kunoichi rounded on me, appearing to have just realized my presence.

"What'd you call me, toothpick?" I snarled, my teeth sharpening slightly, barely noticeable; no one called me out on my size and got away with it.

Her eyes narrowed suddenly, and she seemed to zero in on me.

"Fine then. If it's a fight you want, it's a fight you'll get." And she was gone.

My body tensed tensed as my eyes searched for her, and my ears swiveled around, still masked, searching for her.

She's not behind me, in front of me...not to the right...not the left, nor above... that leaves...

I leapt high into the air, pivoting my ears at the ground, the faintest trace of light breathing coming from it.

The earth crumbled suddenly, a sinkhole appearing and a poof of smoke rising as a clone evaporated. Several dark blurs in my peripherals caught my attention, and I twisted wildly to avoid the shurikan...Which would have been fine, if I had accounted for the wires attached to them.

The kunoichi appeared above me, twisting to slam me with a kick as I struggled in the tangle. I managed to make the quick hand sign, brushing my fingers against the ground.

I rubbed my slightly aching head as I landed a few feet away in a puff of smoke; I might have saved myself a lot of damage, but her boot still managed to graze my right temple.

"Hm... Impressive enough, I suppose...for a squirt like you, anyway," she smirked, her hands in her pockets with her head cocked to one side, utterly unphased .

She'll never know...

I acted as if I had let my anger get the best of me, shouting profanities at her as I charged her relaxed form head on.

She did exactly as I predicted, flashing away in an almost invisible blur.

Smirking, I yanked my right hand back; she came tumbling from the trees, a thick branch snapping her back into the clearing, an irritated look on her face.

Gerilynn rolled to her feet lithely, her face faintly flushed.

"So, the pip-squeak has some hidden talents, does she? Well, it just so happens..." she gave me a menacing glare. "That I do too."

She sprang forward, disappearing with speed, and suddenly I was jumping around all over the place, dodging blow after blow. This change-up confused me; she was frighteningly skilled at close-combat, that much was clear, but such a thing could hardly be classified as a 'hidden talent'.

I took another step back, narrowly escaping a hard fist to the jaw. She was suddenly right in front of me, looming over me with a kunai in hand, jabbing toward my momentarily exposed stomach.

Throwing myself back, I sensed the water and instantly sought to use it to my advantage. Tendrils of liquid rose around me, deflecting her attacks easily and allowing me a second of rest. But only a second, as she wove through my defense, displaying incredible agility.

"You're good, for a toothpick," I taunted, dancing away from a slash and sending several spears of water flying at her.

She dodged them with ease, suddenly skidding to a halt on the water. A smirk twisted her features, turning them much more intimidating than I had anticipated her looking.

"Shrimps like you shouldn't mess with a panther like me," the kunoichi called mockingly, a strange ripple of light shimmering over her form, obscuring it.

"Huh?"

A huge animal suddenly shot forward, streaks of silver glinting in its dusky gold fur. I let myself fall under the water to avoid the claws of the mighty beast, watching them shred the water in front of me.

Whoa... Too close for comfort! ...I think I just peed...

A scream erupted from my mouth in a cloud of bubbles as something huge swatted me from behind, throwing me skyward out of the water. The pather reappeared above me, teeth bared in a snarl, deep brown eyes flashing fiercely. Her paw connected with the side of my head before I could react and I landed hard on the ground at the Hokage's feet, the world blurring out bizarrely; the last thing my brain registered was a streak of green.

So... Hi guys. :) There wasn't a whole lot to edit in this chapter, if I'm honest. The reason for that is that this was the FIRST chapter that Pro wrote with me. EVER. Whoo! Go Pro! Yay! Okay, anyways, comment, vote, enjoy! -Saphy ;P