Chapter 21

;ARE YOU?!? WAKEY WAKEY!!! COME ON!!! TELL ME YOU'RE N-;

)Shut up, Shira.(

;YOU'RE ALIVE!! WHERE ARE YOU?!? YOU JUST HAD TO GET YOURSELF KIDNAPPED!;

)Shira, seriously. My head hurts. I don't know where I am. Probably with the enemy. Be quiet so I can think.(

;... I'm telling Kakashi about Goro.;

)No! Don-(

I gasped, pain erupting in my stomach as a foot slammed into my gut.

"Wakey wakey, little kitten," a harsh voice spat, removing his foot from my stomach.

~Kakashi's POV~

I watched her disappear around the boulders, a bit nervous. Those rogue nin could be anywhere...

"So..." Takeo started, turning his attention to me. "You and Whisper, huh?"

My face heated slightly, "...No..."

"Uh-uh-uhhh! Don't lie to me, or yourself," he smirked smugly. "I know you both really like each other, you even do coupley things like holding hands, you wrap your arm around her shoulders, compliment her, make kissy faces-"

I cut him off quickly, "Shut up."

"Okay, no need to get snappy!" he exclaimed, holding up his hands. "You even get grumpy when she's not around..." he grumbled, rolling his eyes.

"...I'm not grumpy..." I mumbled.

"Yeah, dude, you are. Don't deny it. You told her yet?"

"We're just close friends... I couldn't do something like that... What if she freaks and leaves me?" I mumbled, more to myself than Takeo.

"Dude... Are you serious?! She really likes you!" he said very slowly, as if I were a tard.

"...What?" I glanced up, registering his words a little late.

"She. Likes. You. From what I can tell, a lot!"

"...I know." I sighed, flopping onto my back. "Just let it be, okay?"

"...Good luck with that..." he muttered.

"Hmph." I glanced around. "Hey, Shira. Where is she?"

"I..." She leapt up wildly in a panic, darting back to the boulders, searching frantically. "She's gone!"

"What?" I jumped up, stalking over after her. "Not funny, Whisper. Not funny at all. Get out here, now."

No answer.

"There's another scent! No... two!" Shira cried, nose almost pressed against the ground.

"..." I stood still for a moment, a strange kind of familiar horror rising inside me. I took several long breaths, then narrowed my eye. "Alright. I won't make that mistake again. Can you track her, Shira?"

"What's going on?" Takeo asked, hurrying over with his bag over his shoulder.

"Whisper's been captured," I said flatly. "We're going to get her."

Shira took a deep breath, "Kakashi... I have something to tell you..."

"What?"

"... Whisper knows the man. Goro..."

"...What?" I squeezed my eye shut for a moment, controlling my reactions. "Why didn't she tell me?"

"That would have been good to know, strategically wise," Takeo agreed.