Chapter 9

He continued to amble through the, might I add, VERY crowded streets.

I kept my head down; I could feel their gazes on me! The one time I looked up, it was to find an old lady giving me a thumbs up while her husband stared at me, and a pack of fourteen-year-old girls giggling and blushing and pointing.

Of course, the head down thing was not helping with my 'no more peeking' rule either...

He turned and we entered (more like he entered, I was carried, but, whatevs) a small restaurant.

Kakashi plopped me onto a stool and set my bags beside me, then settled into one to my left.

I glanced over the menu, still shielding my flushed face, and picked a random ramen flavor.

"Hello! Welcome to Ichiraku's! How may I help you?" an old man asked kindly.

"I'll have some plain ramen, please," Kakashi ordered.

The man turned to me, "And you, Miss?"

"I'll have the miso ramen, please," I replied, just loud enough for him to hear.

He nodded, and strode away into the kitchen.

"Wow, you're living up to your name, for once," Kakashi teased me.

"............So?" I muttered, my cheeks going a shade darker as the incident of moments ago flashed through my mind...

"...It's... weird. Believe it or not, I like it better when you're loud and trying to be obnoxious," he commented in an almost disbelieving voice.

"...Really?" I asked looking up at him through my lashes.

"I suppose so... It's weird for me..." he remarked, amused.

"AWESOME!" I exclaimed loudly.

He chuckled and his eye crinckled in a smile.

"Maybe I shouldn't have told you..." he commented, rolling his eye dramatically.

"But then I'd still be in ultra-sulk-mode!" I shot back, giving him a cheeky grin.

"Oh, God forbid..."

"Here you are," said the ramen man, setting two steaming bowls on the counter.  "Young couples these days, you are all getting so adorable!"

Heh...? ... processing data.........................................error; rebooting...

"Oh... Er, no. We're just...friends?" Kakashi said hesitantly, scratching the back of his neck.

"Yeah," I grinned.

"Oh... You guys doing the 'friends with benefits' thing then, huh? You know, we never used to do that in the old days. In fact, I think it's a waste of time. And effort..." the man babbled.

"No,no,no,no!!! We are strictly friends! No bennies! Just friends!" I repeated, my face glowing again.

"Oh... Well then... Why aren't ya together?!" he asked, but we were saved by a new customer.

"Hey, Mr. Ramen Man! I'll have the usual. Here's my coupon," the plant killer from earlier shouted as he slapped a small piece of paper onto the counter and took the seat beside Kakashi.

"Of course Naruto!" he said, and quickly went to the back.

"Oh! Hey PLANT LADY! I like what you did with the garden!" he exclaimed, grinning and adjusting his goggles.

I sniffed and turned away, still angry with him.

"Aw, come on, don't be like that. I didn't mean to wreck the place. The dogs chasing me did it."