Chapter 28

My eyes snapped open early the next morning. I looked down at my arms and almost shrieked. The fur had spread, and those pills couldn't rid me of this...

I slipped out of the bed, running into the bathroom, and locked it shut.

I'm freaking out! Oh shit! Oh shit! What do I do?! I can't let them see me like this!

"Wha- Whisper?" I heard Kakashi mumbled groggily.

I gasped, covering my mouth and hiding in a corner, hoping he'd just go back to sleep.

"Where'd you go?" The bed creaked as he got up, and he sounded worried. "You alright?"

"Yes!" I squeaked, double checking that the bathroom door was locked shut.

"You sure? I hate to tell you, but you don't sound alright," he said through the door.

"Fine," I replied a bit better, keeping back from the door.

"...If you're sure..." I heard him retreat a moment later.

I let out a sigh of relief.

Now what? Damn it, Shira! Why can't you be awake when I need you?!?!

;Wha-?;

)Oh my GOD! Thank you for waking up! Its happening, and the pills won't work anymore! What do I do? Its not like I can shave the fur off!(

;Just calm down. I'm on my way. Open the door when I scratch.;

)Kakashi's up, so be careful!(

;Yeah, yeah. So's the toothpick. They're always up before you.;

A moment later, I heard her scratch at the door. I opened it carefully, letting her in. She was dragging an old sweatshirt and a pair of jeans, along with my gloves and some socks.

;Here. If you intend to be stubborn, put these on. I don't think there would be any harm in showing them, though.;

)Its embarrassing! And you know it!(

I quickly changed into the clothes, pulling on my socks and gloves soon after.

;You're gonna have to tell them when it gets to your face, you realize? Yes?;

I nodded.

)I don't think they'd let me stay in here the whole time...(

;You shouldn't have to...;

"Hey. I hate to bother you, but I kind of need to get in there, if you know what I mean," Gerilynn's voice drifted through the door.

I took a few deep breaths, and quickly darted out, sitting in a corner, "Sorry I took so long."

"Sure." She ducked intothe bathroom.

"There you are. I was starting to think you were sick or something," Kakashi said, walking through the door to the bedroom and approaching me.

"Uh... No. I'm not sick," I shrugged, leaning back into the wall, balling the ends of my sleeves tightly in  my hands.

"You sure?" he knelt before me, laying his hand on my forehead.

"Positive," I answered, stilling at the contact.

"Hm. Okay then. I'm going to go out for a run. Think you can handle things here?" he asked, smiling crinkle-eyed.

"Yeah," I gave him a smile back, resting my chin on my knees.

"Back soon." He took off.

I sighed again.