Chapter 23

Instead of getting up when my brain woke, I decided to stay sleeping. Snuggling into Kakashi's side, I mumbled something incoherent.

"Good morning to you too, Whisper," I heard him rumble, chuckling softly.

"I'm... sleep..." I muttered, clinging to his side.

"Mmkay. You've got a few minutes yet before we should probably get out of here."

"Mh?"

"When the rest of the village wakes up, there are certain people who tend to take their morning walks along the trail up here."

"Meh," I sighed, and rolled over, stretching.

"Feel better now?" he asked, amused.

I heard my back crack and relaxed back onto the blanket, "Mm-hm..."

He laughed quietly, pulling me into his arms again.

"Wha?" I asked, leaning into him.

"I don't know. Do I have to have a reason to hold you?"

"Nope," I answered, now fully awake.

I heard footsteps, and then somone yelped, jumped over us, and skidded to a halt a few yards away.

"Well, well, well. What were you up to last night, Kakashi my man?" Gai asked interestedly, jogging in place and waggling his eyebrows.

"Gai, if you make him get up, I swear to you, you will never be able to have kids."

"...Have a nice morning, buddy," he grunted, then took off again.

Kakashi sighed.

"They'll all know by lunch time..." he grumbled.

I shrugged, "Ignore them, then."

"Yeah. It's just a bit annoying."

"Yeah, it is, but I still get to sit here. I'm good."

"Hmm... You like sitting with me that much, huh?"

I thought about it for a moment, "Yes, I believe I do. Why?"

"I dunno. Thought you'd get bored of me, you being such a...spontaneous? character," he said softly.

"Get used to me, cause I'm not leaving for a while."

"Implying that you will be leaving?"

"...No and Yes... I dunno." I shrugged.

You know, I hadn't really thought about it...

"Hn. I guess I'll have to live in the moment, then. You hungry yet?"

"Um..." My stomach snarled at me. "Yeah."

He smiled.

"Alright. Let's get this stuff cleaned up and get breakfast before we head back, then."

I pouted, "I don't wanna go back... They're mean..."

"Ignore them, then," he mocked playfully, sitting up and starting to fold one of the blankets, me still clinging to his side.

"This is fun," I commented, smiling at him.

"Glad you're enjoying yourself," he grunted, leaning back to grab the duffel bag.

"Do you want me to get off?"

"Only if you want to." He somehow managed to clamber to his feet, grabbing the other blanket as he did so and folding it.

I let go, letting him finish folding (I tried to help, but he wouldn't let me) the blanket and put it in the duffel.