Chapter 24

The next week went on in a similarly peacful fashion, and for some reason or another, I had no nightmares (that I remembered, anyway). Kakashi and I moved back into the apartment a day after the bonfire.

Everything was great, perfect for me for once. But, you know what they say, the good things never last long.

I stepped out of the shower, having just finished, and walked out to the kitchen.

Kakashi smiled at me, handing me a mug of tea, "Ready to go see the Hokage?"

"Ready as I'll ever be," I replied, drinking my tea.

As soon as we finished, he led me out the door and we started across the roof tops.

Arriving at headquarters, I skidded to a halt a few feet in front of Kakashi.

He raised an eyebrow at me.

"Shira let me take off a weight or two..." I shrugged, heading inside of the building.

We went straight to the Hokage's office, finding Akina and, of course, Gai, already in the room.

"Hello, you two," Gai greeted.

"Hey!" Akina smiled at us, and I went over and stood by her, greeting her in return.

"Good morning, Lord Hokage," I inclined my head.

"Good morning," the old man replied amiably. "I want the four of you to run a border patrol along our border with the Sound and the surrounding territory. I don't amticipate any problems, but events as of late make it prudent to check."

"Hai, Hokage," we all chorused, bowing slightly.

He handed the scroll to Kakashi, "You will be captain."

He nodded, and the Hokage dissmissed us.

"Okay, meet me at the Northern gates in twenty minutes," Kakashi ordered Akina and Gai, and we all darted off.

I packed some extra kunai and shurikan, throwing in a few other things like wire and paper bombs.

)Shira, Northern Gates, now.(

;'Kay;

I slipped my hand into Kakashi's as we walked slowly down the road in the general direction of the Gates.

He smiled over at me, swinging our hands back and forth.

"What border are we patrolling again?" I asked, having been distracted when the Hokage had briefed us.

What? There was a fly!

"The North, weren't you paying attention?" he asked, amused.

"... There was a fly... and... it was... annoying..." I blushed lightly, shrugging.

"...A fly?"

"A really big one! It kept flying around my ears while taunting me. It was not a nice fly!" I huffed, remebring how it had called my ears 'creepy'.

"...I'll take your word for it..."

I rolled my eyes.

Not my fault flies are mean to me... I only swat at them every now and then...

We walked in silence until we reached the gates.

Akina smiled at us as we walked into view.

Gai wiggled his eyebrows, "What took you so long?"

"We were busy," Kakashi stated seriously, throwing me a wink.

"Yeps," I agreed, blushing again for effect.