Chapter 33

I woke up extremely early the next morning and clung tighter to Kakashi, who was moving around.

"Why you move? Stoppit..." I mumbled.

"Sorry, Whisper. I've been planning, and I dropped my scroll."

I sighed, "Mmkay." I cracked open my eyes slightly, seeing a closed scroll in his hand. "Did you get everything last night?" I mumbled, my eyes closing again.

"Mmhmm." I heard the paper rustle as he unfurled it.

I suddenly remembered my book from last night, and re-opened my eyes, rolling over and reaching for it.

"Right here." He placed it in my hand, chuckling slightly.

I opened it up to the last page eagerly, finishing the last line. I frowned, "Well. That's a sucky ending."

"Oh? What happened?"

"The dude went MIA and is assumed KIA. Not. Cool. There isn't even a sequel!" I whined, dropping the book.

"Hm. How terrible." He shifted slightly. "I'm going to be gone again today and tonight, Whisper. I'm sorry, but it has to be done."

"O-kay. I'll torture Gerilynn again, I guess..."

He looked at me oddly.

"What- Oh, right. The 'girls' day out'."

"We made her get a dress. And show it off," I grinned.

"Impressive," he admitted.

"I know," I said proudly.

"Just don't make her too angry. She can be dangerous," he warned, only half teasing. "She forgets how strong she is sometimes."

"No worries. I'm fast, and I have Shira," I pointed out.

"Fair enough.''

Soon after, he sighed and got to his feet, picking up some clothes and going to shower and change. He emerged from the bathroom a short while later and walked over to me, bending down to press his lips to mine.

"I'll be home late tonight," he promised as he pulled away from me, giving me a smile before readjusting his mask.

"Bye, love you!" I called after him as he walked out the door.

Then, grumbling slightly, I got up and started my own morning routine. Finished, I decided to head out to the training grounds and get some exercise.

The day passed quickly and uneventfully, unless you count Naruto managing to tackle me again on my way to get lunch at Ichiraku.

Kakashi didn’t make it home.

I only worried a bit, positive that he could take care of himself.

Instead, I distracted myself with more training.

I was in the middle of a series of difficult kicks and punches when Gerilynn poofed into existence beside me, catching my fist before it could hit her in the nose.

“Oops…”

"You need to come with me. Apparently, Lord Hokage has something to tell us," she said.

"O-kay," I panted, following her as fast as I could.

When we arrived at the office, Gia and Akina were already there, looking faintly worried.

"What is all of this about?!" I demanded, now a bit scared.

"Please try to stay calm," the Hokage began carefully. "It seems that Kakashi has gone MIA-"