Chapter 12

~Gerilynn's POV~

Damn... I didn't think...

'No, you didn't think,' Gia's deep mental voice resounded in my head.

'Brother, I feel bad enough as it is... Just let me fume for a while...

'You know, I kinda forgot to mention that...she's claustrophobic....and scared of the dark...'  Shane added meekly.

I felt my eye twitch, then settled back into my misery.

'That's kind of important to know, Shane... It could affect how I use her on the battlefield. Next time, please tell me. Okay?'

'Yeah... Sorry...'

I sighed, then picked up my bow from my pack and stalked out of the ring of firelight.

I didn't mean to scare her that badly... I just wanted her to shut up... But, I guess I could have been more tactful... But then again, Sound ninja are trained to detect...well...sound, and that screeching was carrying for miles... But...Ringer did say they were far ahead... But... ARGH!!!

I kicked at a rock at the edge of the road, sending it flying across a field, and then flopped down on the grass, cradling my head in my hands.

I really hate this... Why does everything have to be so confusing? Either I'm an overly sentimental moron or a friggin' ice queen... I can be a great captain and a stuck-up brat, or a great friend and a hopeless kunoichi....

I glared at the ground for a moment, mumbling profanities. Then I ground the heels of my palms into my eyes, scrubbing away the tiredness; despite handing off the watch yesterday, I hadn't slept a wink.

"Alright... I guess there's only one thing for it..." I grumbled to myself.

"Yeah, pretty much," Gia agreed, sitting down beside me. "You're going to have to make it up to her."

"I know..." I trailed off. "I'm sure it's going to take a while, though..."

"Probably..." He tugged on my shoulder so that I was facing him. "It wasn't entirely your fault, you know... You were just doing what you felt needed to be done to keep everyone safe. How could you have known she was so panicky?" 

I sighed, touching his shoulder lightly as I got to my feet. "Yeah..."

"You're not a bad person, sis..."

"I... I hope not..." I mumbled, trudging back to the camp.

Kakashi had sidled over to the unconscious girl with her guardian, and her arms were now wrapped snugly around his waist, her face buried in his stomach. The sight pained me slightly.

I took the remainder of the food from the pot hanging beside the fire, placing it in a bowl to carry over to the dragon and her charge.

My steps slowed as I approached cautiously.

"Have you thought over your actions and decided to apologize?" she rumbled quietly, but firmly, like a mother scolding a child.

Swallowing my pride, I nodded.

"She still out of it?"

"Obviously... There is no telling when she will wake, though she seems to have quieted quite a bit now..." Shira informed me, her tone mildly accusatory.

"Right... Well, I don't know for sure, but... I may be able to do something for her, if you'll allow it," I offered cautiously.

She hesitated, thinking it over.