Chapter 28

"It's okay baby, we all are here for you.  You got this and even if things don't turn out the way you want, just remember we are not going anywhere." I said cuddling into Bree and receiving supporting nods from Laura and Jeremy.

"Stop crying Bree please, your face is red like a tomato." Jeremy said.

"What if they don't listen?" Bree hiccuped.

"They will stay Bree, I am sure they will once you talk to them." Laura assured rubbing her back.

"I love you all so much." Her voice was hoarse from crying.

Bree's parents are hardly ever around, they barely give her a time of their day. She wants them to stay with her for at least a week or two before going away again to deal with their businesses outside of town, but they never do.

"Do you want any of us to be there when you talk to them?" I questioned.

"No, I will have to do it alone." Bree answered.

"You sure babe?" Laura asked her and Bree nodded her head in confirmation.

"Jeremy would you mind dropping me?" Bree asked and Jeremy gives her a pointed look, "Why is that even a question?"

We all stood up from my couch giving each other hugs, when Jeremy pulled me aside.

"After dropping Aubree I will have to go do that thing okay. Take care of yourself, don't do anything stupid while I am away." He said while hugging me tightly. I let out a small chuckle when he said "that thing". We still don't know what to call it, nobody ever put a name to it. Saying "mafia" or "underworld" stuff sound too extra.

"I won't cause I will be home the whole weekend got loads of assignment and homework." I told him.

"Shit, reminds me I also have homework. I guess it's detention on Monday." He winced.

"Why don't you take your homework with you. I don't think uncle will be pleased on hearing about another detention in a week."

"Hell no. No way I will do homework in front of big, burly men and look like more of a kid than I already do. I will guilt him into letting it slid, it is his work I am doing rather than doing homework. I still don't understand why I have to go to school here when I am on a mission." Jeremy utters.

"Don't do that, he already feels awful roping you into this. He wants you to have a good education and not put it on hold while you are here."

"You are right, I don't know why I even though of that. I will try my best to squeeze some time out to focus on school." He sighed.

"Good. Oh and you too don't do anything stupid, and don't die on me, and call me when you can" I ordered looking at him seriously. He nodded and kissed my head.

Although I didn't want him to go, I have no right to stop him. Two men got shot in the town day before yesterday the police covered it up and kept it away from the public but Jeremy's dad called and asked him to go and see if it has anything to do with the gang. His dad loves him more than I do so there is no way he is in danger going there, I shouldn't be worried, but I just can't help it.

I looked towards the door to see Bree looking at us but she averted her eyes looking at her feet, frowning.

"Bree you okay?" I asked. She looked at me weirdly and nodded, before walking out. With one last wave Jeremy also walked out, shutting the front door behind him.

"Movie?" Laura asked.

"Movie"

It was just Laura and me now. We both slumped on the couch like lazy sloths and watched "A simple favour" before she went home.

××××××

Ting tong. Ting tong.

I got startled by the doorbell. Keeping my book upside down on my bed I trudged down. It's 11.30 pm who could it be?

Jeremy is out, bree is with her parents and Laura just went home. As a precaution, I quickly grabbed a knife from the kitchen. Better safe than sorry. I looked through the peephole to find nobody there.

Well shit.

I gulped, raised my knife up and slowly opened the door. What I saw was the last thing I ever expected.

"Hiiii" Jake said and what weird me out was that he had a big smile on his face.

"Bloody hell." I looked at him with wide eyes.

"Aww you got scared, but lower the knife now." He chuckled.

"Are you high?"

"High? No. Tipsy? Maybe." He grinned.

"Jesus Christ stop smiling and grinning you are creeping me out." I said and moved aside to let him in.

"What do you want Jake? Why are you here?" I asked.

"Well, aren't you pleased to have me here, loving the warm welcome." He said taking a seat on the kitchen stool while I get him a glass of water.

"Drink up and cut the crap just tell me what do you want." He huffed and rolled his eyes.

"Can you ever not be rude and come on we are going out." He said.

"No way I am going anywhere with you." I said sternly.

"Don't be difficult now and get your pants on." He said looking at my legs. I give him a pointed look and he sighed.

"Fine, as much as it hurts my ego to say it but here goes nothing. I feel bad leaving you alone to deal with Natalie's crap earlier today. So, I am taking you out to make up for it. Now hurry up and get your pants on."

"I did rather stay home and also I think I am totally fine in these shorts." I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Come on Nyla please it will be fun I swear and trust me you want to wear something else if you don't want bugs to eat you up." He said sincerely.

"Jake it is almost midnight and you are tipsy, so no we are not going anywhere." I said crossing my arms.

"I am sober now I promise and I will drink some more water. Please come on." He started chanting please.

"Are you absolutely sure you are not drunk?" I questioned.

"Yes I am, trust me I won't drive if I am drunk and specially not put someone else's life in danger." I saw the sincerity on his face and gave in.

"Fine." I rolled my eyes and he smiled at me. As much as I try I couldn't stop myself from smiling back. I walked upstairs to my room and he followed.

As I was getting my legging from the dresser he said, "your bum looks good in those shorts."

"Stop starring." I glared at him. He winked and looked away. I bend down to search for some other top and turn my head to find him again looking at my ass.

"Oh my God if you do that again I'll throw you out that fucking window you- what are you doing?" I said pointing towards my room window.

"Checking how high the drop is, to see if it is worth it." He shrugged.

I glared at him and stomped off to the bathroom to change. I did it as fast as I could because Jerkface wouldn't stop knocking.

"So where are we going?" I asked as we walk out.

"You will see." He grinned.

Oh God, his smile is beautiful.

Eh, it's okay.

Yeah sure.

I mean he looks okay, not that good.

Whatever makes you sleep at night.

I rested my cheek against the cool window as Jake sped off in the dark.

××××××

Hope y'all like the chapter. Don't forget to vote and comment.