Chapter 34

The sun casts its golden shadow all over as it said its last goodbye. All the shades of reds mixed with the blues and yellows; washed the trees with a gentle, melancholy glow. A flock of birds gossiped about their day as they made their way home. Tress passing by in a blur. All this giving a warm, calming feeling, in contrast to the coolness of the car window against my cheek as I lean on it and chaos of thoughts spiralling through my head.

We have been driving for hours now, God knows to where. I did try asking Jake about where we are heading. He would reply with a vague answer of "somewhere we can be safe". I dropped the topic after a while cause I know he would not tell me.

I had my legs up on the seat, hugging them to my chest. With my face resting partially on my knees and cheeks pressed to the window.

I recalled the events from when Jeremy called me at school. Everything went downhill after that. My mind suddenly stuck on one of the details of today that being the firing at the bar and the car chase.

I didn't even bother or maybe didn't have the energy to wipe away the lone tear that cascade down my cheek. Soon enough, not wanting to let their friend leave alone, more tears followed. The reason behind this waterfall was the possibility that many people got injured and maybe even died. I precisely remember that there were still people inside when that car exploded on the highway, the thought of it forced a whimper out of my mouth.

"Are you crying?" Jake questioned.

"No, I am not." I said, not looking at him. I tried to sniff as secretly as possible to make my voice more clear and convincing.

"Do you take me for a fool?" He sighed.

"You are no doubt in that." I said, turning my face to look at him. I know there was no use in denying that I was crying because he already knows.

Surprisingly he twitched a small smile instead of throwing back a snarky remark.

"Tell me what happened. It will feel good to let things off your chest."

I shouldn't be trusting him, I know that. I know that he is from a rival gang and would even kill me if he has to. I have to keep my guards up. But, a little part of me would like to think that all of those months with him were not an act. He can't be faking it all. He tries to hide his warm persona under the condescending act, trying to act tough. I have seen it when we would hang out after school for school work or when we are around our friends. But today I saw a completely different Jake, an intimidating and ruthless person. But I would like to think that the Jake I know is still here. My Jake is still here.

The fuck bitch back up. "My Jake?

I don't know from where that came from. My heart started beating fast and my eyes widened at the thought.

"Are you okay?" He questioned as he accidentally caught my wide eyes.

I sniffed again to clear my throat, " Not really. Those people... back at the bar, they all died didn't they?"

I observed as his brows furrowed and a frown settled on his lips, before he turned to look at me with questioning glaze.

He swerved the car to the side of the road stopping it. He unbuckled his seatbelt and turned to look at me.

"Nyla can you stop, please. You seriously want me to believe that you are crying cause those people may be dead. It's nothing new if you are a part of this life. Are you trying to trick me with the act of pretending that you are not a part of a gang? How stupid do you think I am? If you thought this charade will get you any information about Scythe then forget it." He gritted out.

I took a deep breath before speaking calmly, "I am not part of any gang and definitely not a mole."

"Drop it already Nyla. I know about Jeremy being the prince of Molasses empire, and I know that you know about me being a part of Scythe. If you aren't a part of a gang then what were you doing in that bar? I am not asking for you to snitch on Molasses, all I am asking is to stop lying. And, am not saying this as a friend I am asking you as the leader of Scythe. I don't want to hurt you but if you keep up like this I might have to do something that we both won't like. I have no other choice,  I am responsible for everyone who is a part of Scythe and I take my responsibilities seriously." He was calm and composed. His voice was gentle but also held that authoritative aura, hanging in between being Jake and Scythe's leader.

"I am telling you I am not a part of Molasses. And even if you are or are not a part of all this bullshit, if someone dies how can it not affect you? Those people may have a family and even if they don't, how can you live knowing that you killed someone. What if it was you or me, Jake? Do you understand how fucked up this situation is, one minute I am simply going to my calculus class and the next thing I know I am caught in a gunfight and being fucking chased around town by bad people. This happened so fast how do you expect me to not be scared. It's a lot to take in. I don't know what to do, how to react." I was hysteric by the end not being able to breathe. The tears were non-stop by this point streaming like a waterfall down my face. Soon my throat felt like it's closing up like someone is choking me and the heavy feeling in my chest kept on increasing. The irregular, hard thumping of my heart makes me want to scream but my brain felt like it went in complete lockdown. My hands were shaking and my palms were sweaty. I was losing control of my body.

Then I realized I am having an anxiety attack. In all this chaos I didn't take my medication and the thought further increased my anxiety.

"Hey, hey look at me." Jake said promptly, grabbing my jaw and turning my face towards him.

"C-can't b-br-breath-e. " I choked out.

"Shush, I know. Focus on me okay, and breathe. It's okay, you are okay, I am right here. Breath with me, everything will be fine. Forget everything, clear your head don't think about anything just look at me. Do as I do. In with your nose, out with your mouth. That's right you are doing amazing, keep doing it and feel your breaths." Jake kept whispering encouraging words and did the breathing exercise with me. There was absolute silence, other than soft words coming out of Jake's mouth now and then. We stay like that for quite some time, our foreheads pressed together and breathing in sync.

And as strange as it sounds his voice calmed me down. The breathing exercise further soothes my nerves. But his thumbs tracing random patterns on my forearm was the anchor that bought me back.

"Close your eyes and instead of deep breaths come back to your regular pattern." He hugged me, rubbing my back.

"Go to sleep, everything will be alright. I got you, I won't let anything happen to you. I will keep you safe." He whispers in my ear. Voice so low like he is telling me a huge secret that is only meant for us to know. It was like we were in a bubble, shielded from the world; where nothing can hurt us. It might have been for a few moments that it felt like we were the only two that exist, just us in this big cruel world. But just like a bubble pops easily, I knew that this won't last for long. So I hugged him back tightly savouring those few precious moments where I felt the safest, all the worries leaving my mind, I can breathe without a care for what is to come.

He tried to pull away from the hug but I clung to him tighter, letting out a pathetic whimper. " Please few more minutes, please." I begged.

"Of course, go to sleep. I am not getting you go." He said while softly running his hand through my hair. I snuggled my face in his neck, exhaustion of the anxiety attack took over and I didn't resist as the darkness slowly consume me into a dreamless sleep.

××××××××

Hii babies!!

I am really proud of this chapter because it shows how much I have learned as a writer. I believe that my writing has improved as compared to the starting chapters.

Also heads up you all are in for a long journey. I think this might go to around 100 chapters.