Chapter 36

"I swear to God Carter if you don't reply one more time, you will regret it." I gritted out glaring at the side of Jake's face. Nothing. Again for the 100th time, he didn't give me any reaction, pretending like I don't exist. Just like he promised. I huffed thinking now I have to swallow my pride and accept that he was right.

About two hours ago we were making small talks so this never-ending car ride can be bearable. We decided to point out character traits we have noticed about each other. To which Jake said that I am the kind of person who can not stay quiet and can't tolerate if someone doesn't give me attention and ignore me. And being the stubborn person that I am I denied it. Since then he took it upon himself to prove me wrong and would ignore me if I say something.

For the first hour, I kept my composure and stayed silent. There were many times where I saw something on the road and wanted to point out or to make a comment on the song playing on the radio. But soon I started fidgeting because the silence was getting to me. So I decided to go with something important so he would give in and I would blame it on the urgency of the matter, then accepting that he is right. I asked him what is our plan, where are we going and what are we going to do about the Eagles. But he is far more resilient than I expected.

"Fine, you win. Yes, I can't stay quiet. Happy now?" I groaned leaning back in my seat.

"You bet." he smirked.

"Bitch." I murmured.

"Now to the important point. What is our plan of action?" I asked.

"I am trying to find a safe place to park the car. So we can spend the night in the car. We will figure what to do next tomorrow. Right now we need to rest and get our energy and this is a lot so you need some time to process it all." He replied, eyes focused on the road. A small smile tried to make its way on my face seeing how considerate he is. But I quickly covered it up with a cough.

"Why in the car? We should find a good motel or rest house. There are many along the highway. As you said we need our energy and the bed will help rather than leather seats."

"You do know how unsafe these motels are right? They are usually filled with criminals and right now we are in the condition of not being seen." he replied.

"But-" I wanted to say something but he cut me off.

"No buts. We are staying in the car and that's final" he said in an authoritative tone, that anyone would hesitate to defy and I was no special.

So that's how we spent the rest of the night parked in a barren field alongside the highway. Eating crappy packaged food because we were starving, having not eaten anything since morning. Jake drifted off to sleep pretty fast but I had too much going on in my head. Eventually, I leaned back in the leather seat, closing my eyes, hoping this was all just a nightmare and tomorrow I wake up in my bed.

×××××××

The next day we had a decent breakfast in a secluded diner. Right now we are again on the road, going to God knows where.

"Are we just going to drive aimlessly or do you have a specific place in mind or maybe a lead on the Eagles?" I questioned while sipping my boba tea.

"Not right now. But we are heading to the city. I will need a laptop to access information and then maybe I can find a lead." He replied.

"You have money right now to buy a laptop?"

"No, I will not buy it. We will go somewhere where we can use it for few minutes. " He said calmly.

"So we are going to an internet cafe?"

"No, we don't know if the cafe there will be crowded. We need to be in a place where there are people so it will be easy to escape if someone is following us also they would think twice before attacking us in public. So we will go to an electronic store in a mall." He explained.