Chapter 35

It's been hours since we are driving. It's been hours since the last time I breathed without being paranoid of been dead the next moment. It's been hours since I became wanted by official authorities.

"Okay, you got this. Keep your head low. Do your business and get out as fast as you can." Jake ordered. I nodded not taking away my eyes from the small department store of the gas station across the street. It's nighttime now, we have been on the road since the morning. We are hungry and in dire need to use the restroom. So as soon as we saw this gas station we stopped because we are also running out of gas.

"Nyla please don't do anything stupid. Stick with the plan, you go to the restroom while I fill up our car. Then you go buy us food and water while I use the restroom. We need to make it quick. Most importantly do not interact with anyone do your thing and get out." He recites again. I hummed, giving him a strong head nod.

As I made my way to the door with the stick figure of a girl, I contemplated whether to ditch Jake and figure something out to get me out of this situation or should I stick with the plan. I have to keep my guards up. Those thoughts bring back a memory of a beautiful afternoon when Uncle Greg was telling me things after I got to know about him being the leader of the Molasses empire.

"Darling I know how much you love to see the good in everyone. But the only person in this world that you can trust completely is yourself. You don't need anyone to protect you or be there for you, become your own strength, your own anchor. I know you have the potential to become strong individuals. Never let your walls down. Never let anyone see your weakness and fear. Trust your instincts to help you understand who is a friend and who is a foe." Uncle Greg said smiling while helping Jeremy and me to decorate the backyard to give a surprise to, aunt Eline, Jeremy's mom on her birthday.

"But dad what about with people you trust. Should I even keep my walls up around you also?"  Jeremy questions.

"As I said Jer, trust your instincts to tell you how much of you do you want the other person to see. But always keep that last guard up, so that no one but you have the key to completely destroy you. In this cruel world, it is a sad reality that you can't even trust your blood." Uncle Greg said with a small smile that never leaves his face and then came towards us spreading his arm for us. We both reluctantly hugged him.

"And that is why I will try to protect my angels from this cruel world as long as I can." He said while placing a soft kiss on our head.

"Hey not fair you all are hugging without me." Cassidie pouts as she runs towards us, also joining the hug. "Not fair uncle Greg, are you picking favourites now?" She questions with a cheeky grin. "You know you are my child as much as these two are." Uncle Greg replied. Cassidie doesn't know about the underworld stuff Jer's family is involved with, uncle doesn't want her to know for her own safety. I wouldn't have known either if I hadn't walked in on them that day.

To be honest, Jeremy's parents have been more around for me than my parents ever did. They would always be busy at the hospital being successful surgeons. There were times when they won't be home for days. That is the reason I didn't have much trouble living in Hanford on my own because even back home I have always been alone. Even with my sister being in the same house I felt alone because even though I tried she wouldn't reciprocate the efforts so we could bond and become closer.

Tears beamed my eyes threatening to spill any moment because I really miss them. I miss uncle Greg, aunt Eline, Cassidie, but I pulled myself together. Uncle Greg trust me to be okay. He wants me to do what my instincts tell me and they tell me to stick with Jake. I will do this not because I trust me but because I trust Uncle Greg and he wants me to trust myself.