Chapter Twenty-Two

JAMISON

I grumbled cusswords as I paced my office, my wolf as restless as I was. My beta watched me in slight amusement, lounging back on couch in my office.

"Dude, what are you freaking out about?" He chuckled making me growl in annoyance. "This is probably the worst I've ever saw you? Mate troubles?"

"Yes!" I growled out. "Not in the way you're thinking though. Guess what I found out today."

"That your mate is straight." He replied sarcastically.

"This is serious. Baxter's birthday is this coming Saturday, the same weekend as the Gala." I ground out with a glare. Dax froze quietly and thought for a moment.

"Oh, that'll be fun." He said back not dropping his sarcastic tone. "I thought I had come up with a solution for this weekend, time to change plans I guess."

"I didn't think this could get worse. Don't get me wrong I'd have rather met my mate than not, but this gala is complicating things." I sighed and flopped back in my chair. "I wish I could just cancel the damn thing."

"Plan B. I know you don't want to lock him in the apartment, but why not just spend his birthday weekend with him in the cabin. Use work as an excuse to come to the pack house for the two nights of the gala. I know you hate lying to your mate, but until he figures out the truth we have to be careful. The cabin is far enough from the house so he wont know about the gala, but close enough you can spend time with him and get to him if there is an emergency." He suggested lightly. "Plus its a get away from the apartment so he can wander as much as he wants without having to worry about running into strangers."

"Honestly I didn't even thing about that. Its been so long since we went there I completely forgot about it." I smiled. "Yeah, give him some time out of the apartment since he wont leave without me, maybe a relaxing spa day and come back right before the party starts."

"See, problem solved now stop being a worry wart and go get your mate ready for dinner. Ruby and I are coming over since we couldn't yesterday." He smirked and shooed me away like a child making me growl back playfully. I slipped out of the office and towards the apartment with a relaxed smile, now that I knew what I wanted to do. As I opened the door Baxter's head popped up from behind the couch like a happy puppy, making me chuckle. His hair was ruffled like he just woke up but he sat crisscross with a book open on his lap and his large eyes were wide in excitement.

"Hi!" He said before closing his book and stood up with a giggle. "Are you done with work?"

"Yes sweetheart, but I have to cook dinner. We are having guests so I want to get started, do you want to help?" I asked lightly. He blushed but eagerly nodded his head and set his book on the coffee table. "Okay, what do you think we should make for dinner?" I held out my hand and he quickly took it, letting me lead him to the kitchen.

"Ummm I dunno. Who's our guests?" He asked following me to the sink.

"Do you remember Dax, The co-owner of the building?" Baxter nodded his head with a smile as we washed our hands side by side. "It's going to be him and his wife, Ruby."

"Okay! I remember her as well, though I didn't really get to talk to her." He responded, drying his hands on a dish towel.

"How does taco's sound? They are easy but filling and can feed multiple people." I took the towel and dried my hands. "Though I don't have any meat thawed so it will take a little longer to cook than normal."

"Yes!" He practically drooled as he pranced around the kitchen getting differnt supplies out. I chuckled slightly and got the produce out of the fridge. I set the frozen meat in the sink, running luke-warm water to help it defrost before cooking it. "I'll cut up the veggies!" He said prancing over to take them. I handed him the produce and pulled off a knife following behind him.

"Please be careful." I told him setting the knife next to the cutting board.

"Yes sir." He said with a sarcastic attitude making my wolf growl happily. I closed my eyes and let out a slow breath before moving away. I got out my spices on a can of enchilada sauce making Baxter give me a confused look.

"It helps add flavor, I use the sauce in the taco meat to add a little twist to it." I said softly as I opened the can. He hummed lightly and went back to chopping vegetables as I got my pan ready. It didn't take long for the smell of cooking meat to fill the kitchen as I started to brown the beef. My mate set the cutting board full of toppings to the side and came to watch as he leaned his side against the counter. Once the meat was thoroughly browned I drained part of the greasy juices and added my spices with the enchilada sauce. Once it was simmering I reduced the heat slightly and covered it to let the sauce reduce. "Okay little one it just needs to reduce and we will be good. So I'll set the table, why don't you go finish reading before our guests here." I urged him softly toward the Livingroom. He gave me a small smile and walked out, I quickly grabbed the dishes and serving plates. I set out four seats and placed all the produce on one of the serving platters, making sure the table was set comfortably.

"THE POWER COUPLE HAS ARRIVED!" Dax yelled as he walked in the front door, Ruby following behind him. I chuckled as I wiped my hands and walked into the common room.

"Hello!" Baxter said happily but still moved to hide behind me. Ruby awed lightly and waved.

"I didn't get to introduce myself last time I saw you, Hello my name is Ruby." She said lightly as she set her purse down on the arm chair.

"Hi, I-I'm Baxter." My little mate said back and gripped my shirt shyly. I slowly grabbed his hips and tugged him out in front of me. He blushed but didn't try and fight me.

"Tacos will be done soon, so you guys can chat while I finish up." I said softly and watched proudly as Baxter slowly stepped forward. It didn't take long for him to come out of his shell, excitedly talking to my betas.

Our mate will make an amazing Luna. My wolf said in a light tone as I went to stir check the food.

Yes he will. After all he is our other half. Our mate.