Chapter Two

JAMISON

I let out a huff of annoyance as I trotted through the woods. The pack is growing more restless as the next full moon gala grows closer. The questions were constantly fired at me about my mate. My paws picked up moving across the ground quickly the more I thought about it. It is rare for a 26 year old wolf to be without a mate, especially a Alpha, but I refused to take any one as my mate except my true mate. The Full Moon Gala happens every three months, it's a huge ball that all unmated wolves are required to attend to help wolves form different states and across the world find their mates. This year the Gala is held on my pack lands here in northern Michigan. My paws continued to moves faster, to the point I don't think I could stop if I wanted to, and my breath came out in large puffs as my lungs tried to keep up. Running my frustration out is one thing that keeps me sane when it comes to my pack.

I slowed down until I could come to a stop safely, and sniffed the wind hoping to find a quick hunt. The smell of rabbit clung heavily in the air, drifting from the north and my mouth watered. Laying on my stomach I slowly crawled towards the thickening scent, able to hear the fast heartbeat of my prey. Once reaching the bush the scent came from I pounced over landing exactly on my lunch. The rabbits heart began beating faster as it scrambled to get from under my paws. After licking my jaws I leaned down and quickly bit into its small body. The rabbit let out a little sound of distress before going limp between my teeth. Without a second thought I dig into my meal picking the bones clean of any flesh.

The tension in my body released and my stomach resting easy I let out a wolf-like sigh and shuffled my paws forward, laying on the soft ground. The wind blowing through my fur gently and the sun against my black coat seemed to whisk away the last of my worries for now. Fully relaxed I listened to the woods around me, how the soft breeze rustled the tree branches, how the near by river rushed over the rocky beds, and how the birds created a melodic song for those who'd listen. To me the woods is the easiest place to feel free and my safe haven. Slowly I closed my eyes, letting the sounds of nature be my lullaby. (Hehe that rhymes... 🤦🏻‍♀️ why am I like this)

——————

I don't know how long I slept but when my head lifted I came nose to nose with another wolf. My beta automatically dropped to his stomach with his tail tucked and his throat bared. Last time he woke me from a nap in a sleepy haze I attacked him. Letting out a huff I rose to my feet and shook out my fur.

What do you want beta? My voice sounded cold through the mind link but I wasn't awake enough to care.

Im sorry for waking you alpha, but it's almost time for training. My beta stated as he stood also shaking out his red and white fur. Daz was one of my best friends as well as my beta, so my moodiness was not new to him. He shifted his green eyes towards the pack house and sighed. I know all this causes a lot of stress, so I told the omegas to prepare dinner early, but we need a few things so I'll have to go to town.

Looking at him I could tell he was stressed as well so I nudged him a little with my nose. I'll come along as well for old times sake.

But what about training? His tail started wagging betraying the doubt in his voice, he wanted me to come.

I can trust Deltan to run it on his own, he's always wanted to prove himself as top warrior. I chuckled back and nudged him again. It's been a long time since we've had a chance to go out together as friends.

With a nod we both took off towards the pack house, playfully nipping at each other as we went. As the light blue building we call home came into view I shoved Daz of the path, and took off. A small growl followed as he tried, and failed, to race me back. Lesson number one, you can never beat an Alpha in a race.