Chapter Nine

Up above is a Baltimore oriole if you don't know what they look like. They are beautiful birds and I used to see them in my back yard sometimes.

BAXTER

My parents seemed to ignore my existence almost the entire weekend making my life a little easier and the lonely feeling in my stomach grow. The two dogs showed back up on Sunday night happy as could be. Hermes as expected is mischievous and would pounce on Hades playfully nipping at the bigger dog. They acted careful around me and due to their large size thats a very good thing. Hermes left around midnight disappering to God knows where. Hades lingered around longer and cuddled close keeping me warm from the nights fidged air. He seemed as happy as could be but pushed me towards the house when I began to tire. I was definitely feeling it today as I trudged to school.

The dirt road crunched lightly under my feet and birds sung out in the wood around me. I couldnt help bit whistle back and smile lightly as chirps filled the air. Through tired eyes I watched the trees as I walked the long road. A Baltimore oriole sat chirping happily on a low tree branch ruffling its feathers in the soft breeze. Its orange belly stood out in the green leaves and its black upper body added contrast drawing my attention. His head tilted slightly and he took off blending in with the bight sun. My eyes tried to follow only to be drawn to movement in the green bushes.

Suddenly a large white dog stepped through the underbrush and growled lowly at me. The woods went silent at the threatening noise and only the dogs growls filled the air. His large shoulders were broad with mucle amd his white fur had patches missing scars covering the skin below. With his large head down he stalked towards me and the hair on the back of my neck stood up. His blue eyes seemed focus as his stance got lower with each stride, his muscles bunching up. My body froze in terror as he made his way closer with a fierce gaze. A snarl ripped through his teeth and he jumped nearly missing me. A yelp followed and I quickly turned to find the white dog pinning down a smaller brown one. The brown one had red eyes and its saliva was pink with blood. The dog wasn't threatened by me but the other one. The white dog let out a loud deep howl making my ears ring and the other dog whine and its ears pulling back. I turned and ran as fast I could as multiple howles filled the air in response. My breath came out in pants as I raced away. Not dogs. Those were NOT dogs. My mind screamed at me.

I finally came to a stop about a mile down the road and had to place my hands on my knees as my lungs begged for more air. I looked back even though I knew I wouldn't be able to see anything but I looked anyways. The long road became a haze father back blocking me from seeing the animals. I stood straight and started a brisk walk towards the school.

It didn't take long to arrive my second hell. The brink walls of the school house came into view making me wince slightly. 30 minutes early to school I made my way through the mostly empty hallways and quickly grabbed my books. Biology being my first class I knew Mr. Bremmingham would be in the room. I ducked into the classroom and smiled timidly at the teacher.

"Sorry, I got here early and didn't want to just sit in the hallway. Here is more peaceful." I said bashful.

"Its okay. You look a little frazzled, is everything okay?" Mr. Bremmingham asked as he stood up from his desk. He was a taller man at roughly 6'3" with bark brown hair, brown eyes and average looks. I studied him and shook my head slightly.

"I saw something this morning. It was like a husky but larger. It attacked another dog behind me, at first I thought it was going to attack me. They were to occupied with eachother so I was able to run away." I whispered my voice shaking slightly. The white dogs vicious snarl filled my head and I shook slightly

"Baxter, we do have wolves in the woods around here. You have to be careful." He said softly. His eyes glassed over slightly for a couple seconds before he turned and walked back to his desk. Being on of the cooler teachers he kept a mini fridge in the corner. He pulled out a bottle of water and brought it to me. "I would say stay away from the woods but I know it's your only way here so be careful. I don't want you or any of my students hurt."

"I will be. I thought we didn't have wolves here. I guess I was wrong." I gave him another shakey smile before sitting in my assigned seat. I began to think about the two "dogs" that spend their nights in back yard. Wolves. It made some sense but not a lot. They acted calm and intelligent, they never got rough or gave any indication of aggressiveness. Both of them were gentle with me and carful not to hurt me. Hades was loving like a lost puppy, clingy and constantly wanted attention. Hermes was playful but never rough, he seemed loyal to the bigger one. Their large size wouldn't be normal for a wolf either. What are they? That one question stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

(A/n) Sorry about the long wait and that it this chapter publish and got taken down before being published again. My dog decided to be pouty and wanted attention so he layer on top of me and put his head on my phone so when I picked it back up I published the chapter before it was finished so my apologies. Right now he's laying with his paws pressed into my stomach and his nose resting on the top of my phone 😂😂