Chapter Thirty

Jamison

I could hear my mate cry himself to sleep, even hours later he whimpered at his dreams and he let out little hiccups in between shaky breaths. I sat on the couch with my head in my hands as each fear raced through his head. My wolf whined, wanting to comfort our mate but I knew it would only make it worse.

How was I so reckless?! I was so tired I didn't even sense him at the window. When I came home I couldn't wait to climb into bed, so I went inside and began my normal checks. Locking all the doors and peeking in on the little male. After seeing his bed empty I began to panic and once I saw his window was open I quickly ran outside. Only my scent and his was around the cabin, the smell of snowberries and pine covered with the scent of fear made me realize he saw me shift. I quickly shifted and chased after him. Five hours later and I still sat scared on the couch listening to my mates heartbeat giving away every emotion that he felt. I let out a sigh and rubbed my temples, closing my eyes trying to get my body to relax some.

It was almost 1030 when I heard Baxters heart stutter as he began to wake up. I hadn't moved or slept, I just zoned out staring at my feet. The little male slowly came out into the living room sinking onto the love seat as far from me as possible. Silently I lifted my head to watch him as he just seemed to look straight through me. His eyes were bloodshot and heavy bags formed under them.

"I still want answers." He stated breaking the tense silence. I closed my eyes and leaned back, trying to find the best way to explain things.

"How many modern-day werewolf books have you read?" I questioned.

"A handful." He gave his short reply.

"How many of those brought up mates or soul mates?" I continued. His heart skipped a beat as he sat up more is full attention on me.

"All of em." The curiosity in voice thickened as he leaned forward.

"That's what you are to me. My mate. It's one of the many things that have been corrected with common werewolf books nowadays. Each wolf is born with a soul mate, each human too, but wolves are more tuned into the way everything works so we find ours easier. From the moment I stepped into that little bakery, the day you ran into me, I knew you were my mate. That's why I followed you home in wolf form, that's why just my presence or voice can put you at ease. I was made for you and you were made for me. We balance each other out, you calm the wolf inside of me." I explained as I looked up at him. "No wolfy mojo as you put it, no tricks. We just are meant to be."

"Can someone refuse their soulmate? Reject the mating bond as most books put it?" He questioned. I couldn't stop the hurt whine from me and my wolf that escaped, making him flinch.

"Of course you can. Everyone has free will, the Gods and Goddesses can't just force two people together if they don't want to be." I stated sadly, feeling my wolf start to withdraw in my head.

"How does rejecting the bond normally effect someone?" He probed. I had to clench my jaw and count backwards to stop another whine.

"I-it depends on the wolf. Humans it easy, because of being less in tune with their senses it causes little to no long term effects and normally just leads to a broken heart that is healed after a while. For werewolves some can handle it, and some can't. It causes our wolves to withdraw and not come out unless absolutely necessary. Some go crazy, some stay completely sane. Each wolf reacts differently but it does effect us more than it does humans." I hung my head continuously staring at a knot it the wooded floors to control myself.

"And if the bond isn't rejected but is accepted?" He asked making me relax slightly.

"Then the mating bond holds. Wolves typically finish the mating process quickly but that's not always the case. As the relationship progress the bond gets stronger, the stronger the bond the closer the pair become." I explained still not able to look up at him.

"By completing the mating process, do you mean the whole nine yards? Does it follow a lot of modern-day books?" Baxter mumbled, his voice tainted with embarrassment.

"Yes, mostly. It starts with smell, then touch, kiss, sex, and lastly the mating mark. The one thing that the books get wrong is that the bite doesn't have to be on the neck, it can be anywhere the is a major vein. Some go for the neck because they like to show off their mark while others go for more discreet locations." I choose to shut up because I was starting to ramble.

"Okay normal questions now. You said God's and Goddesses. What did you mean by that?" He asked his tone lighter

"Like I said, everyone is born with a soul mate, for us it is believed their prospective God, Goddess, or God's are the ones who primarily control that. We don't believe there is just one. For wolves we believe in the Moon Goddess as our higher power."

"Okay, I've seen you in wold form multiple times throughout the moon phases both day a night so I know the moon cycle does change your shift. Does it effect anything with your wolf?" He questioned and I shook my head. "Okay what about changing someone? Can you do that?"

"Yes I can, though not without purpose. It's against wolf law to go around changing random people but it's not impossible. Only an Alpha or a Beta can change a human and only if they choose to. It's not just a bite, there are steps that have to be taken before hand." I told him slowly relaxing into my seat.

"Okay what about silver?"

"Silver will severely hurt us but wolfbane does not. A fatal gunshot wound to you will be fatal to us, it's not just silver that kills. Silver acts more like a poison to us, it is one of the very few thing that can poison a werewolf though." I told him.

"That's all the questions I can think of right now. I'm not entirely comfortable but I'm not leaving or rejecting the bond. It's going to take some time but for right now I think I just need to deal." Baxter explained wrapping his arms around himself.

"I can understand that and I will do my best to respect your wishes." I responded and relieved he didn't plan on leaving. "There is one thing though. We do need to go back to the pack house. I know it's probably not the place you want to be right now but it's needed. The wolf you ran into last night was not from my pack but a guest, specifically a beta. I'm assuming he already told his Alpha I found my mate and as soon as they all know it can cause some problems. No one in our pack will hurt you so I would feel more comfortable with you around people I know I can trust to protect you if something goes bad."

"What kind of problems?" He questioned making me grimace.

"All packs on my land right now are not supposed to fight eachother but rules aren't always followed. With you being my mate some wolves may try to target you as my weakness to overthrow me as Alpha but with you in our apartment no one can get in unless I allow them to. If staying in the same apartment as me makes you uncomfortable I will stay in one downstairs or in Daz's spare bedroom but my main priority is your safety." I explained hoping he doesn't feak out. His face went white as he hugged his knees closer.

"You'll protect me of something were to happen?" He asked. I nodded in reply unsure where this was going. "Then you can stay in the apartment. I'd rather not be alone in a house full of werewolves."

"All the wolves from outside packs should be gone by tomorrow evening." I explained but wasn't complaining. "We should start packing up here and head our. Part of my job includes giving everyone a proper farewell as the leave." The younger male nodded and silently went to his room to pack.

Mates not rejecting us! My Wolf said happily suddenly coming out of his sulking corner.

He didn't completely accept us either so don't get to excited, not yet anyways. I responded as I stood up. We will just have to see where this goes.

(A/n) And after writing out 3 chapters it is now 3:47 in the morning so I'm going to bed. How do you feel? Let me know! I don't want Baxter to straight up reject Jamison or completely accept him either so I'm just writing with the flow right now. I'm excited to see where my writing takes me next and I'm happy I get to explore this with you guys. Have a good night my friends and till next chapter.