Chapter 33 - Jack

- Chapter 33 - The Doorstep Present -
Warnings: Anxiety, nerves, Crutchie being adorable
Third Person POV

Jack follows Race to his room, putting a sign on the door and closing it behind them.

Race sits down on Crutchie's bunk (the bottom bunk for obvious reasons.)

Jack sits next to him.

They sit in silence for a minute.

Jack looks at his younger brother, noticing the nerves in his eyes. "What's up?" He asks Race, breaking the silence.

"Should I be comfortable with them kissing me yet?" Race blurts out. "Should I be okay with the stuff they do with each other?" He questions, not meeting Jack's eyes.

Jack raises an eyebrow. "Isn't this a conversation you should be having with your soulmates?" He asks.

"I'm not comfortable with that yet." Race answers quickly, looking at his hands that he kept picking at.

"Okay," Jack nods. "That's okay." He assures Race. "You don't have to speak to them if you aren't comfortable with it." He tells Race.

Race looks up at him.

Jack places his hands on top of Race's to stop him from hurting himself.

"You don't have to do anything with them that you aren't comfortable with." Jack reminds Race. "It's okay and they will/do understand." He assures him.

"But I feel like I should." Race responds, biting his lip. "I feel like I'm failing as a Soulmate." He mutters.

"You're not failing as a Soulmate." Jack tells him softly. "You went through a lot and now you're not comfortable with it, that's acceptable." He reminds the younger boy. "If anyone says differently, I'll soak them."

Race looks up at him. "But-" he starts.

"Racer." Jack cuts him off. "I will leave over a thousand sticky notes in your room reminding you that it's okay if I have to." He threatens.

Race laughs a bit. "Okay, okay." He responds. "Thank you."

Jack smiles. "I'm always here for you. I'm your brother." He tells the younger boy.

"Thanks, Jacky." Race whispers as Jack pulls him into a hug.

After a few minutes, Race pulls away and gets up.

"Hey," Jack starts.

Race turns back to face him, an eyebrow raised in confusion.

"Take the lockdown sign off of my door, please." Jack tells him, chuckling softly.

Race laughs. "Sure."

He leaves the room.

The 'lockdown' sign was something the boys put on their doors to let people know when not to disturb them.

They used it if having a conversation with Medda, each other, or if someone needed a break.

Jack falls backwards on his bed, just silently thinking.