Chapter 9

I look up at the blanket of stars; the small angels are shining like always; a sign of the heavenly presence. The clear and peaceful night is interrupted as a wave of laugher distracts me.

"I don't believe he said that," Blare, the new girlfriend of Jacob, cheers. We have all gathered in our house; Jacob ordered pizza and we have all sat on the porch together.

"I don't really know him," Anna murmurs. She's so kind and loving that she can't judge anyone. I don't think I have heard her say a bad thing for someone.

"Do you know him?" Blare asks her boyfriend who raises hie shoulders in defeating manner. I take a small piece of the crust of the pizza on the exterior before I feel hands on my waist. I glance at Corbyn who has leaned closer to me and with one quick move, he sits me on his lap.

My soul melts at the gesture and I rest my head on his chest chewing.

"I do but I'm not the one you should ask. He's Corbyn's cousin," Blare's eyes widen as her lips form a small circle in surprise.

"Christian is your cousin?" She asks and Corbyn just nods. He hasn't said much this evening making me worried about what might have happened with his lawyer. Every time he goes, he returns thoughtful, worried, and concerned. And he never wants to talk about it with me.

"Really? What do you think of him?" Corbyn's arms tighten his grip around me bringing me closer to his body.

"We don't like each other much. I had never shared a special bond with him or something,"

"Why?" Noah questions frowning.

"We never really saw things eye to eye," My angel explains casually.

"But he's your cousin,"

"Says the boy who had never spoken to his cousin ever until she came here," Corbyn retaliates.

"We had spoken before she came and she was living across the country. Christian goes to the same high school as you,"

"I had come here?" I ask Noah ignoring the small banter that takes place between them.

"Yea, you don't remember?"

"No," I reply. "I thought my first day here was the first time we met,"

"You don't seriously remember when we met?" I shake my head frowning. My brain runs through the old dusked drawers of my mind to recall my first time here but I don't find anything.

"I'm wounded right now," Noah mumbles placing his hand above his bleeding heart.

"Okay, tell me. How we met?"

"No, you don't deserve to know," He fires back as a smile threatens to form on his lips.

"I don't remember either," Jacob says.

"Aren't you from here?" Blare asks stopping our repartee.

"No, I was living in Chicago," I explain smiley.

"I heard it's beautiful there,"

"It is," I reassure her as my mind floods with memories and images of my house, my friends, and my parents. Tears well up at the corner of my eyes but I blink.

"I had visited but I had never gone where you live," Anna says.

"We're not done," I mouth to Noah who sticks his tongue out to me narrowing his brown warm eyes.

"Why did you fight those guys today?" Anna asks what I have been wanting to know but I did not get the chance to ask.

Corbyn drops his head on my neck locking his lashes. I peer at him wondering what happened that upset him like that. I slide my arms around him running my fingers through his hair.