Chapter 54

Corbyn's POV.

Her small frame comes, firstly, in view in my mirror. Her steps are hesitant and heavy as if the energy is drained painfully out of her. Her fingers cradle the handle, and she gets inside the car. Her aroma pervades the air of the car, instantly; a sugary and fresh scent of her innocence. My eyes regard all of her. Her eyes are bloodshot, her rosy lips are pursed against each other, strongly, almost achingly, her lashes still glow due to the tears the fell from them earlier. Her trembling fingers are tangled up in her lap, her knuckles are whitened as if she is trying to swallow all the pain at once. I notice our ironic contradiction. I externalize my despondency and fury while she faces it standing opposite it, silently; either by digging it within her or expressing it through tears.

She doesn't say a word, and I respect that. I know our visit here is something she owed herself to do despite the courage she had to use to come. I'm proud of my girl. I'm glad she cried; she fought herself, overcoming her fears. She felt her agony in its depths and let it out through her tears.

As I drive, I rest my hand on her thigh, and she surprises me when she interviews her cold and rigid fingers through mine, easing a part of me. I'm terrified of the probability of her pushing me away, especially now. I run my thumb across her knuckles pleading her to relax. This is the effect she has over me; she calms me and, now, for the first time, I have to do that for her. Her eyelids close as her breaths slow. Gradually, her body loosens up against mine. My warmth passes through her. I bring her hand to my lips and plant a soft kiss on every one of her knuckles before dropping our interlocked hands in my lap.

Throughout our ride to the airport, her eyes were fluttering, slowly, glancing outside at the moving houses and cars around us. Her lips never parted to say something. It reminded me of the time I met her; her lost voice was a mystery to me. I hated it back then too. And now, I loath it. I miss her voice, my soft whisper of solace. I yearn for the way her eyes lock and gleam with love when they meet mine.

She rested her head on my shoulder during the flight as she fell asleep. Her calmness was terrifying; tranquility before a storm of despair. I admired the way her eyelashes fluttered seldom. My fingers were playing with hers as I was begging for rest. But I couldn't. The adrenaline of fear was crackling under my skin. I don't want to lose her. And this silence scares me.

I place our bags inside my jeep; I missed it. I toss my jacket in the trunk, preferring to stay with my shirt, sensing the heat of the atmosphere sticking in my pores. My baby girl has her arms folded in front of her chest as her head is tilted in the side watching my movements. I attempt to say something, though, I swallow it. I don't want to push her. I move towards the driver's seat when she stops me. She grabs my shirt with her hands bringing us closer as she reduces the distance. Her eyes are no longer red, screaming in exhaustion and emotional fatigue. Her cheeks have earned back their usual rosy color. Her lips curve upwards. My heart somersaults when she breathes in, ready to speak.

"Thank you," Her two words decompress my whole being as never before. I sense every inch of me loosen up.

"Thank me for what?"

"For coming to me," She smiles, shyly. "Thank you for finding me, for fighting for us when I didn't,"

A grin unfolds on my lips; she doesn't question us. She's mine. Baby.

Restraining all my desires for hours, I surge myself in my girl connecting our lips for what felt like centuries. I never knew what a kiss could feel like, but, now, as she kisses me back, it seems as all the air has returned to my fucking universe. And she's goddamn lightening it.

I slide my arms around her waist and lift her toes off of the ground, craving to feel all her body pressed against mine. Her tongue unlocks my lips and my body reacts. Her sweetness fills my mouth as I ravage hers. It fucking ignites me and I hate we're not alone in our bedroom.