Chapter 59

Corbyn's POV.

Her fingers stroke mine as they are interlaced, breaking me out of my passive reverie of the last hour.

"What are you thinking?" She whispers along the loop of raindrops scratching the glass of the jeep.

"I don't know..." I mutter; the energy is poured out of me painfully. I can hardly move without collapsing.

"What are you going to do about the court?"

My brain is pounding; thoughts, unanswered questions mixed with fears and insecurities are piercing and hammering, noisily, my scalp. Her silky voice bounces around the empty corners of my mind; I can't hear her. I can't think.

"Corbyn?" She calls out after a few silent seconds.

"Just drop it." I hiss. "I had enough shit to deal with today." My voice, involuntarily, rises and blanks the silence of the car. I take my hand off of hers and run my fingers through my hair furiously. Hot-Anger resurfaces. The symptoms I have learned to recognize; begin to possess me. My breath accelerates, though I can't control the direction and my train of thought. The sick plan of my father, the wicked exchange with my mother, the betrayal of my lawyer; it's too fucking much for one week. I can't pull it off; I'm losing it.

My vision gets blurry due to irritation, yet, I increase the speed of the car. I need speed and noise to dull the noise of my head.

"Corbyn," Amelia whimpers, though I don't have it in me to ease and comfort her right now. I don't trust myself to unseal my lips. I don't know what words will come out. And I bet she isn't ready to hear them out.

I don't even realize how fast we reach the house. I don't cease the roar of the engine. Although, she doesn't get out of the vehicle.

"What is going on? I thought you were..."

"Just go,"

"What?" She asks. "You aren't coming in too?"

"I need some time to figure this out," I tell her. I regard the way she purses her lips together; she's mad.

"We have been here," She reminds me, and a tire of electricity passes through me; I will explode, and she will pay the price of it.

"We have. But this is different. I need time to work for the court and think about the fuck to do!" I shout without controlling it. I'm fucking tired of restraining myself. My voice resounds around the car, and her eyes widen in response. She isn't afraid, though. She's angry.

"And I can't help you, right? Just like I couldn't help you the last time we were sitting here and you told me you needed some time alone. I thought you were over this, Corbyn," She exclaims, and her cheeks get rosier. "You're shutting me out is so old-season. Oh, so I thought. I guess I'm stupid enough to believe we were past that," She rolls her eyes, challenging me.

"Why do I have to do everything with you? The fact that I'm with you doesn't mean you have to do things for me. I need some hours alone. Stop being so selfish," I roar.

"Selfish?" She echoes angrily. "I'm selfish now for wanting to help you to fix the problem and wanting to be near you?"

"You know what I meant. Stop making such a big deal out of it,"

"I didn't," She retaliates. "You did when you shut yourself down and leave me wondering what on earth is going on through that head of yours,"

"This isn't what you..." She opens the door cutting me midsentence. Her locks flap around as she whips around to face me.

"Save it," She snaps. "Do whatever you want alone and when and if..." She emphasizes. "If you clear things out and remember that I still exist, I guess you can stop by." She cries sardonically. "But don't you dare think I will be sitting around waiting for you to fix the world alone," She shuts the car door forcefully; her eyes are glowing in anger. I narrow my eyes, letting her words sink in. I climb out of the jeep.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I shout, following her path of swift and assertive march. "You won't be sitting around, alone?"

She swings around; rapidly, and her hair flies around and hits her shoulders.

"It means, exactly, what you think it does," Her words fuel my rage as fire to gasoline, and the anger dominates and drags me under its frightening veil.

"So, you're going to cheat on me because I want some time alone? What the hell is wrong with you? You're threatening to break up with me?" The air puffs in and out of my chest. I sense the cold oxygen of the chilly night burning my hot lugs. Although, this fire of mine wins me over. She wants to fucking abandon me when I need her the most. Let's have it her way. "Do it! I dare you to do it. Come on,"

"I didn't mean it like that. Don't twist this into something it doesn't," Her tone drops some octaves, regretting the previous spontaneous words.

"Do I, now? You have got to be kidding me!" I throw my hands in the air; frustration and hot-red anger swimming and lightening my whole being. I missed the way my body ignited; the way my brain was off, never fretting about the consequences of my actions and sharp words that used to launch edgy knives at others. I never gave a damn about the collateral damage.

"Just go, Corbyn," She squeals before running towards the porch. The moonlight glistens upon her high heels and the surface of the clean marble stairs leading to the balcony of the entrance. The door shuts loudly, and the echo of its locking bounds around the freezing and barren environment. I huff out air; the rush of adrenaline still coursing through me as I jump into the jeep. I get lost in the horrible traffic of the avenue as music screams in my ears.