Chapter 74

"I don't know who I want to be when I grow up. And he said, well, you're a grown-up." She smiles, rocking her head to the sides, and a few locks of her orange hair flap in her cheeks. She's the best student of our year; the chosen one to declare our graduation speech. I stare at her cautiously; I haven't had a class the same as hers all year. Glancing around me, I sense the wild anticipation of the moment. Long and crowded rows of seated students, all dressed up in the same blue uniform are filing the auditorium; as caps are placed on our heads, beautiful grins and glimmering eyes radiating the same energy.

"Maybe we're grown-ups now, but why should we know who we are? Why should we know the core of us? I don't know who I want to date," She protests. "Let alone pick a career at the age of eighteen."

The crowd bursts to cheers; hands raise and clap in solid agreement. The auditorium fills with whispers and vivid laughts.

"This isn't the year that defines us. No, this year, we define ourselves. This isn't the time to put ourselves on a deadline to think and organize our future. Guys," She shouts. "These are the best years of our lives; we should go out, have fun, do the craziest things one can name or imagine, we should fall in love," She winks. "A lot," She adds.

My eyes travel my angel, yet, his eyes are already locked in mine. I grin, mirroring his expression.

"We should fall in love with different people; travel at the edge of the world. We must use our ambitions and energy to enjoy that gift of life, not waste our time being locked in offices of one boring firm."

"Hell yeah," Shrills and peals of refreshed touches of laughter cause me to unite with the chaos.

"Christina James," The principal announces the next name in the long catalog of graduates. The usual cheerful audience companies her as she shakes hands with a few teachers and takes a picture with her paper of graduation in her hands.

"Amelia Claire Evans," I walk up and shake hands with Mrs. Stewart. I barely hear her throughout the mess of deafening voices and moving feet.

"Congratulations Amelia," She girns. "I wish you the best,"

"Thank you, Mrs. Stewart," I give her my honest smile before strolling to our principal, who gives me my diploma.

"Congratulations,"

"Thank you," At this moment, I realize that he might not recall my identity, my contribution, or my terrible confessions about Edward, though, just then, his genuine grin and nod, let me know the opposite. He declares the next name of a girl after the photographer snaps a picture of us.

"Take care," He smiles before turning his attention to the long line waiting.

"I will,"

"Corbyn Mason Carter," I grin, hearing his name. The characteristic volume of cheers in the auditorium increases at the name of my angel. His proud girn and enthusiasm are almost palpable as he strides up the stage.

A few moments of the ceremony will always stay imprinted in my mind; the knowing nod of the principal, the graceful movements of my angel, the way Cyle hugged Mr. Mitchell without even knowing her pretending to be in tears, causing all of us to die of laughter. I will never forget the way Peter, who detested Mr. Stewart for not letting him use the bathroom during her classes, gave her a chaste kiss on her cheek, forgiving her for all her sins on his behalf as he said it.

"Adler High School Senior Graduation Class of 2022," Our principal announces proudly, a wide smile decorating his face. All of us stand up and toss our caps into the air. I raise my gaze, and for a split moment, there's only blue. The wooden ceiling of our fancy auditorium is hidden behind the mass of thrown caps before my vision clears of them as they fall back down on the floor between us.

Hands spine me around, and lips are crashed against mine with force. I can sense his grin against my lips as they navigate together. Heavenly happiness sings in my veins as cheerful voices of students and teachers fill my ears; his lips and body are pressed against mine. Butterflies and goosebumps everywhere.