Chapter 28

"I would like to call Mrs. Ross at the stand," The lawyer, who was previously speaking, has raised from his feet directing his words to the Honor. A middle-aged woman walks between the wooden seats in the middle of the corridor before sitting on her seat opposite the lawyer.

Corbyn's hand has squeezed mine as we walk through the doors and sit next to each other; our hands still intertwined. I can sense every single one of his emotions; his anger, ferocity, disappointment, and desperation. I move my fingers stroking his skin that blazes against mine. I glance towards him witnessing his wide anger eyes.

"Mrs. Ross, you have been working very closely with Ms. Taylor, Mr. Carter's ex-wife, for almost two decades since she met Mr. Carter up until a few months ago. Is that true?"

"Yes," Her voice trembles as if she's scared of something yet she attempts to hide it under her stiff posture. She has leaned upwards appearing taller as her fingers are wrapped in each other in her legs that are covered in a black long skirt.

"You were close?"

"Yes, she was like the daughter that I never had. Since I was employed by her, our time together was tremendous. I know her like the back of my hand." The lawyer that was shouting about Corbyn's inability to win his sister's custody grins, satisfied by the answer and cold runs up and down my backbone.

"What was her relationship with her son?"

"Problematic. They were having constant fights and arguments once Corbyn was in his puberty and they haven't stopped since."

"How was she feeling about her son?"

"She was desperate, she was trying to raise him as hard as she could, but she wasn't succeeding. It has cost her a lot."

"Do you think she was a good mother?" She opens her lips to speak yet her eyes dart to the room and land on my angel. I gaze sideways to find him staring back at her; his jaw sharpened. My stomach turns into a massive knot as the sickening feeling of anxiety booms inside of me.

"She was trying as every other mother across the world but she did mistakes as well."

"Did he respect her?" She lowers her head.

"I wouldn't say so," The lawyer grins.

"A boy that can't even respect his mother wants to take the custody of his lovely sister. A fragile little girl." He turns towards the jury who looks at him in a daze. "I have been talking about this. No respect. This boy knows nothing about respecting other human beings, knowing limits, and caring about someone else's feelings. He has been so focused on himself that he doesn't care about the family that has brought him into this world or anyone else,"

My heart splinters as the fake words keep gushing out of his mouth. Lies and nothing but that. I lean closer to my angel and squeezing his hand, I whisper.

"I love you," His eyes find mine right before his free hand grasps my chin to keep me steady as he crashes his lips on mine. I don't care that we were in court or that other people may be watching, I care about my angel. Only him.

"I love you too," He mutters with a small smile on his lips that causes my grieving heart to flutter. I rest my head on his shoulder as his falls above mine. Despite the current ambient circumstances; I love the feelings that blossom in me at our sweet connection.

"So, in your opinion, do you think that the disrespect has been shifted from his mother to everyone else in his life in general?"

"I don't know,"

"Answer the question, please,"

"I guess," She murmurs uncertainly rocking her head from side to side.