Chapter 22

A few hours had passed since we yelled at each other. I told him that I wouldn't run and he told me he was sleeping around with girls in return. Anger had been boiling inside of me until I, finally, came to my senses. After minutes of thinking and analyzing I didn't believe him eventually. He couldn't have done that. It might be what I want to believe but I know he has changed since we met. He's a completely different person now.

I switched off the light of the kitchen filling the first floor with darkness after I cleaned up the dishes of our dinner. Everyone had gone to sleep and quietness was stretching, or so I thought.

"Amelia," I jolt at the sudden voice. I swirl around to find my uncle leaning against the frame of his office door.

"Yes?"

"I don't mean to intrude, but is everything alright with Corbyn?" I take a deep breath rocking my head from side to side.

"No, we have actually broken up," I state with a melancholic tone.

"You..."

"Him," I answer knowing his next question about the one who wanted to split.

"He has a lot going on right now,"

"I get that," I say. "I really do but what I'm not getting is him shutting me out. He doesn't want to talk about it, ever. He has broken up with me about it. And no matter how many times I try to show him that I want him to talk to me, he keeps pushing me away." I blurt out rapidly. I catch my lost breath gazing at him. His calm warm eyes that resemble Noah's don't change. He expected my outburst.

"Corbyn never talks about it, Amelia, and the fact that you know about the court is a surprise to me. He has gone through much and now, things are extremely out of hand. He just tries to hold on,"

"Can't he do that with me?" He smiles; he stays silent for a few seconds. I walk away though his voices halts me.

"Corbyn tends to push away people. All his life he had been fighting alone. Just..." He stops and I title my head to the side. "Don't give up on him,"

I pace around my room tidying and folding clothes. My nerves have woke me up, taking with them every drop of fatigue and sleepiness I was experiencing earlier.

"Give upon him?" I murmur stuffing my sweaters in my dresser. "He gave up on both of us," I throw more clothes to fold on the bed. "I hadn't given up but he did without offering me an explanation." I keep rambling to myself making this annoying noise of mumble that puts the dynamic part of me in action.

"Give up on..."My eyes widen and my shirt falls to the ground in a soft thud. "Him," I glance at the mess of my room but before I can talk myself out of it, I move. I grab a paper and a pen writing down a small sentence. I push it through Noah's door and run down the stairs. I grasp his car's keys knowing exactly where I have to go.

The streets start feeling familiar from the times my angel drove me to his house. As the distance is reducing, I feel my heart thundering in my cage rib. My fingers have gripped the wheel tightly in my attempt to stop the trembling. I fight all the thoughts of him not wanting to see or talk to me, the inappropriate hour of my visit, or my ridiculous outfit and keep driving.

I take a deep steadying breath as I pull in front of the silver gate in front of his mansion. The moonlight falls upon the glass of the car as I approach it.

"I can do this," I mutter to myself as I roll down the window. As I had expected, a man with professional black clothing comes up to my window.

"Can I help you?"

"Yes, I'm here for Corbyn. Would it possible to see him?"

"He hasn't informed us he wanting you," Oh no.

"Uhm...he doesn't know it. Kind of a surprise," I improvise keeping an enthusiastic grin plastered on my face.

"I'm sorry, miss but I can't let you in," My face falls while my brain starts working and thinking of excuses to convince him.

"I..."

"What's going on?" A deep man's voice echoes before he appears. A wave of relief washes over me when I recognize him. He was the one that brought me back home when I fought with Corbyn and sneaked out.

"She wants to get in but Mr. Carter hasn't informed us about anyone visiting,"

"I understand that and I don't want to stop you from doing your job but I was hoping I could surprise him. It would really mean a lot to us. Please," I beg using all my sweetness.

"I know her, she has been here with Corbyn before, let her in!" The man I know shouts to someone towards the glassy cubical and the gate splits into two slowly with a mechanic voice.

"Thank you,"

"He isn't home at the moment. We don't know when he'll return," He informs me and I smile nodding despite my disappointment. I drive through the path between dark shadows of trees at the sides of me. I park the car right behind an expensive jeep in front of an exterior garage. I glance around frowning; there are a lot of cars.

"What's going on?"

Luxuries cars are all around the mansion; surrounding it. Maybe there's a reason why Corbyn chose not to be here. I huff examining my options. I decide against going in when Corbyn is not there. I don't want to have any awkward acquaintance with his parents or meet any of the people that work for them. I lean back to my seat; I will stay here until he appears.

Minutes pass without any movement outside the house. I check my mirror every minute to detect any moving car. I put some music on to kill the silence that is increasing my anxiety. I think about what I want to say to him and tell my words over and over again as if a poem I need to learn by heart. Only now, our future depends on it. I promise to myself I won't leave until I say all I need to confess to him; no matter what he'll tell me to hurt me. I won't run.

I stare at the clock realizing that two hours had passed since I came here. I hug my knees to my chest when lights shoot my car. I turn and to find his car moving and halt its movement in a spot behind a parked car.

My heart explodes inside of me when he gets out of the vehicle and shuts the door. His eyes scan the parked ours and his lips move as if he says something. He's cursing; I think and giggle. When he walks up the stairs I panic running after him. I don't want to ring the bell and draw attention. He disappears inside the house and I keep the heavy front door open just before the clink sounds. I close my eyes gasping.

I push it open and walk inside. I see his form walking on the depths of the house and without hesitation, I follow him. A man with a black suit and a professional suitcase walks past me not throwing a glance towards me. The door shuts after him with a loud thud that reverberates around that hall of the entrance. I start running to catch up with Corbyn as I look around. Through an opening; I see men standing around a big table full of scattered papers on it arguing.

"No, if we take that approach, he'll lose the child,"

"To who? Her?"

"To Corbyn! We need to..." All his words are muted as I run up the luminous staircase that leads to the second floor. A shiver runs up and down my spine as the lawyers of his father are battling against Corbyn to win the case and take Alice on his side. I walk faster but stop when I don't find his moving figure in my vision. I spin gazing in all the directions without any luck.

"Oh no," I pass my fingers through my hair thinking when someone clears their throat. I jolt upright whirling around. A middle-aged lady dressed mostly in white stares at me. Her hands are busy with clothes; her hair is gathered tightly behind her head.

"Can I help you miss,?"

"I'm looking for Corbyn. I don't remember where his room is." She points towards a corridor in my side.

"Third door from the end,"

"Thank you," I say and start walking fast but not running. I slow down when my eyes find the door. I lick my dry lips as I interview my fingers. The sickening emotions of my anxiety have taken the reins of me. I let out a breath approaching the door with the only sound, my beating heart.