Chapter 20

The light of the sunlight darkens the screen of my phone and I walk under the shadow of a tree. Its leaves are whistling as a soft wind caress the green grass and the trees around me. Voices travel to my ears from the distance. I dial the number again but no answer. I huff looking around at the daylight; the green of nature and the light of the sun glowing.

"Hey," I stop breathing clenching the device on my hand. I lick my lips as my heart jumps at the sound of his familiar voice.

I turn around slowly as if I'm preparing myself. But that's pointless. I gasp as I see him a few feet away from me. His black outfit contracts with everything around him making him stand out significantly. His eyes are watching me, wide and luminous. His hair is messy yet their gleam under the strong sunlight causes my heart to sink. He has leaned on the tree as his hands are hidden on the front pockets of his black jeans. He appears to be relaxed unlike me. Intensity has claimed me completely while I look back at his blue-sky eyes that match the blue of the clear sky behind his figure.

"Hi," My tone is harsh yet so quiet. I clear my throat placing a strand behind my ear. "Hey,"

"How have you been?" I gape at him. It's the most common question he could ask me but at the same time the most torturing one.

"You seem fine," He notices when a few seconds pass without an answer. I smile briefly looking away from him. I keep chewing my inner cheek. We haven't been alone and talking since that night. My heart is racing ready to leap out; I hear my blood running at crazy speed behind my ears.

My eyes widen and I turn to him as he walks to me. My lips part but my feet are frozen while he moves. His eyes don't leave mine as if he has put a spell on me. I stare at him amazed; by the blue of his eyes, the tranquility he seems to have inside him, the peace he radiates. My breath stops when his fingertips hardly touch my skin and he strokes my cheeks. He pulls me closer as I let him do whatever he wants. My heart explodes. He rests his forehead in mine locking his eyes. He stays silent, he doesn't move at all. I gaze up at him trying to comprehend what it's happening.

His soft breathing slows down as if he relaxes after years of constant torture and lack of peacefulness. He doesn't lean in to kiss me. He just stands still touching his head on mine. My brain though catches up barking at me to run and not glance back. I was fighting all this time to have all my attempts go to waste for one moment he spares me? That doesn't feel right. I know I'll end up hating me later. I raise my hands to take his off of me but before my skin contacts his, he folds me in his arms. He buries his nose in my hair inhaling me deeply. I frown; surprise crossing my thoughts. I let my hands on his side in the air for a few moments not knowing what to do. I close my eyes focusing on my sensible part shutting all the parts of me that crave his touch. I place my hands on his chest, electricity reaches my toes and I gasp. Sensing I'll shove him back, he tightens his embrace.

"For one minute," He says. "Please,"

My breath hitches again at the word. He has never begged for anything before. He hasn't used that word ever before yet here he is pleading me. I bite my bottom lip as a wave of guilt unfolds inside of me. His parents are on trial, every day he hears them fighting to get rid of him and his sister, their lawyers must be using every single of his mistakes to clear his parents from their responsibilities. His sister is on the other side of the content having no idea what he's sacrificing for her. And top of everything else, he has to keep studying to get into the universities he wants. I would be cracking by now.

I raise my hands, slowly and hesitantly, and wrap them around him. I sense him relaxing against me but I don't know if that was me or him. No matter how much I'm fighting him; battling against all the emotions that invite him in, my body can't lie.

I let my head fall on the crook of his neck as I used to. I grasp the material of his shirt while memories start haunting me. A few moments pass in silence until he leans up and his eyes meet mine. He smiles shortly as his fingers caress my cheeks.

"Corbyn," I whisper following the movement of his eyes that peer at the contours of my face. He hums letting me continue.

"Did you ever love me?" I let out the words I had to know if they had an answer. I had been wondering about the truth the night he freed me, telling me to run away from him. Against the drops of the rainfall and the tears that were slipping away, this question kept buzzing in my head. I have to know. His eyes shoot to mine; a hint of disappointment and shock flickers in them before the new calmness dominates them as if he remembered something.

"Yes," He answers. "I did," I nod letting the words sink in. The bell rings bringing me back to my reality.

"I have to go," Was the last words I said before I walked away again. My breath was rapid and shallow and it seemed impossible to make my heart stop hammering.

"Hey, princess," Christian's voice stops my reverie.

"Hi," I put the chemistry book on my locker.

"How have you been?"

"Good, you?"

"You're doing more than fine even though you guys broke up," I force my eyes to my locker, not allowing them to meet his gaze. I had been practicing lately to control my behavior and it was working in everyone, except for one.

"Thanks," I murmur.

"I was actually wanted to ask you something," I check my bag for the books I need to have with me. "Would you like to go out with me?" A giggle erupts on my lips.

"Yea, right," I laugh zipping my backpack.

"I'm serious,"

"I'm sure you're," I smile closing my locker. He grips my shoulders turning me to see his honey brown eyes.

"Would you go on a date with me?" I frown at the sincerity of his voice.

"You're not joking?" He shakes his head waiting for my reply.

"Christian, I just got out of a relationship. I don't really want to get involved in another one. I don't think I'm ready for that yet,"

"It's just one date," He points out.

"It will not be just one date. If we go, you'll be expecting more from me."

"What if I'm?"

"You're pranking me, aren't you?" I ask narrowing my eyes. He grins.

"I liked you since that party we met but you were already taken. Now, you're not,"

"Let me think about it but I don't think it's a good idea," I shrug raising my shoulders apologetically.

"What if we..."

"Oh my God!" Blare reaches us with wide eyes. "Did you hear what Peter did? Anna will be shocked." She takes my hand in her rambling about the new breakup as we walk away. I look back to Christian who still stares at me. Blare cries before we disappear.

"See you around, Christian!"