Chapter 72

I check through my emails again for the hundredth time today. There's nothing from any of our college choices in New York. I huff in exasparation. The light of my nightstand casts a yellowish glow upon my hands and the white surface of my laptop.

Corbyn's grinning face glimmers through my mind; I haven't seen him since the moment he mouthed I love you in one of our long high school corridors.

Fears and pure insecurities scare my heart at the crazy possibilities of our future. My confidence has almost evaporated due to the latest happy news, giving birth to new worries that I didn't even know I had or could have in me.

The door of my room opens, though before I can see the person behind the action, a distant voice from down the hall answers my silent question.

"Corbyn," Jacob cries. Corbyn takes a few steps into my room, eyeing it till he finds me laying on the bed. He smiles.

"What?" He shouts back, his eyes locked in mine.

"Come here for a sec,"

My angel winks at me playfully and disappears from my vision. Their chatting voices echo lightly from Jacob's room, although, I don't make out any of the spoken words. My door shuts and Corbyn walks in again, taking off his jacket.

"Hey," He leans down the bed and rests his lips on mine.

"Hi," I smile. He strides towards my desk and throws his jacket on the chair.

"Where were you all day?" He inquires. I frown, watching him come to bed and sit in front of me.

"What do you mean?"

"You didn't have lunch," He answers. "I looked for you," His last addition makes my heart skip a beat.

"Oh, yeah, sorry. Amanda found me at the last minute about our project in biology. We had done some wrong numbers and had to rerun some tests in the lab." I explain. "We run them during lunch,"

He nods, rocking his head until his eyebrows connect in a fresh frown.

"Didn't you eat anything all day?" Worry flashes through my favorite sky-blue eyes.

"No," I chuckle. "Don't worry. Amanda had brought some snacks,"

"So, what are you doing?" He stretches out on the bed, reclining on top of it as his eyes fall on my laptop. Having him on my feet, I turn the device toward him.

"Just checking,"

He leans upwards till we're inches away. His fingers shut down the lid, and a mechanic noise of turning it off reaches my ears.

"What is going on with you?" He titles his head to the side while his eyes are searching my face for clues.

"I'm fine," I exclaim. "Maybe just a little worried,"

"About what?" His question causes me to gasp. I don't know if he notices it or not, either way, he doesn't offer any hints.

We stay quiet for a few minutes staring at each other's eyes without uttering any words. I know my angel is looking into my eyes; lasers pierce through his sapphire blue ones to mine, looking passionately for unspoken explanations and promises. The tension of the radiation in his eyes combined with the silence stirs me. I break the eye contact and clear my throat.

"It's uhm...it's stupid," I whisper. His fingers raise my chin and restore our gaze. He shakes his head, indicating that he needs more.

"I'm happy for you," I say and give him a weak smile. "I really am. It's just...I have been thinking a lot of things and..." Each one of my words sends a new wave of dread to his eyes making them widen.